1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass fx vs. Guitar fx?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phleb1968, Mar 31, 2013.

1. phleb1968

phleb1968

Jan 18, 2011
    OHIO
    I know that some players are ok with using guitar fx, and others oly use effects designed for bass. Seems like many pro players I read about prefer guita effects for bass.
    Thoughts?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Depends on what fx you speak of. Modulation, delay, probably fine. Distortion, filters, I wouldn't use guitar versions.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Distortion and filters that aren't designed for bass generally cut low end, which is why often special versions of those effects are used for bass. As RickenBoogie pointed out, there really shouldn't be any actual difference for any other kinds of effects--though the "bass" versions of non filter/distortion effect types just generally are more subtle.

--

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I once tried a Boss Bass Chorus ( back in the 80's IIRC) which I liked significantly less than their regular stereo chorus. I would suggest that generalizations about "bass" vs "guitar" effects are useless.

5. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    If it is an effect that cuts your lows then you can use a looper to keep the clean low end....

6. q5bass

q5bass

Apr 9, 2012
    TN
    My current board includes some of each. It seems to depend on the individual pedal and the sound you're looking for.

7. It really depends on what works best for you, I use a mixture of bass specific pedals and some more guitar oriented pedals.

8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Looking at my own pedals 10 out 19 are bass specific.
    In the past there was no choice, bass players had to use guitar pedals because bass pedals were not available. In the current market, you may cherry pick the best of bass and guitar pedals to suit your tonal needs. As others have noted, use what works for you. You have to consider what will work best with your other pedals, some pedals sound great together some sound bad and some develop glitches. The hard part is that combinations are hard to predict, you have to test it.