Bass game- three degrees of Hinton/Carter/Brown

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Justin K-ski, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    This game is a spin-off of "six degrees of kevin bacon" where the player must link any actor to Kevin Bacon in 6 steps or less.

Someone just has to name a jazz musician and one of the three most recorded bassists of all time Milt Hinton, Ray Brown or Ron Carter. You get three other musicians to link them. For example

Ron Carter and Johnny Hartman

Hartman recorded with coltrane

coltrane had mccoy tyner in that band

McCoy Tnyer recorded Trident (and others) with Carter

That was actually two degrees but whos counting.

The following relationships quality

band members/recording sessions

direct family (ell and ray, coltranes, pizzarellis)

student/teachers (monk and coltrane)

I'll start

Milt Hinton and Pat Metheney.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I think this is too easy. Everybody played with everybody else. I think you should be also required to name the albums they played on. With that....

Pat Metheny -> Jim Hall. "Jim Hall & Pat Metheny"

Jim Hall -> Paul Desmond. "Paul Desmond Bluebird's Best: Cool Imagination". Yeah I know it's a compilation but I don't know where else to find the albums that have "Here's That Rainy Day" that they did. God that song kills me!

Paul Desmond -> Milt Hinton. Also from the same compilation actually. The Judge plays bass on "Ship Without A Sail" and a couple of other tunes if I recall correctly.

Anyways, I'll keep with the guitarists theme for the new one...

Kurt Rosenwinkel -> Count Basie
  3. Elia

Apr 12, 2005
    Kurt Rosenwinkel played with Gary Burton ("Six Pack," 1992)

Gary Burton played with George Shearing ("Jazz Concert," 1963)

George Shearing played with Joe Williams ("The Heart and Soul of Joe Williams and George Shearing," 1971)

Joe Williams sang with Count Basie ("Everyday I Have the Blues," 1953).

I'll continue with:

Eric Krasno-->Bud Powell
  4. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Eric Krasno-->Bud Powell

Soulive appeared in concert with John Scofield at Penn's Landing, Philadelphia, PA - 6/16/00

Sco was in the Miles Davis band for a bunch of sessions and concerts including Miles Davis: Live in Montreal

Miles can be heard with Bud Powell on Parker's Charlie Parker/Miles Davis
    Blue Bird

Let's keep with the Jam band theme...

Sindey Bechet and John Medeski

An extra degree might be called for.
  5. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Sco also played on one of Soulive's albums if I'm not mistaken. I think it was "Turn It Out" or something like that.
    woo, that's kind of a doozy. I also like this old<-->new theme that's developing. Kinda show jazz's lineage in a way. I'm trying to resist the temptation to look this stuff up online. :)
  6. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Christian McBride

7. Elia

Apr 12, 2005
    I wasn't sure if we were allowed to go through concert appearances as well as recorded and released works.

Sydney Bechet played with Louis Armstrong ("Clarence Williams' Blue Five," 1923)

Louis Armstrong played with Coleman Hawkins ("Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra, 1924-25")

Coleman Hawkins played with Dizzy Gillespie ("Rainbow Mist," 1944)

Dizzy Gillespie played with Yusef Lateef ("Dizzy Gillespie and his Orchestra, 1947-1949")

Yusef Lateef played with Sun Ra ("The Dozier Boys with Eugene Wright and his Dukes of Swing," 1948)

Sun Ra played with Marshall Allen ("Jazz in Sillhouette," 1958, plus most of the other Sun Ra cuts)

Marshall Allen played with John Medeski ("The Dropper," 2000)

Yuck, mucking around in all that early discography was a pain in the butt. This would be easier if I went through rhythm section guys, which I think was maybe the original point, but this is more fun. Shoulda gone through Sco.

I'm definitely looking some of this stuff up online, but some of it I knew, for example Marshall Allen on "The Dropper" and his membership in Sun Ra's group. I was pretty sure about the Bechet-->Armstrong-->Hawkins connection, but I had to track it down. I don't feel like I'm looking it up online so much as finding the exact sources.

how about somebody like B.B. King to, I don't know, Steve Swallow?
  8. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    easy, BB King played with Pat Metheny on some all-star thing with Brubeck (A Night in Cannes, 2001) [I admit I had to look the details up, just had some recollection that such a thing existed, I've never heard it]

Steve Swallow has played with Metheny on loads of things, with scofield, gary burton, bob moses etc....

how about Lester Young to Drew Gress?
  9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll name that in one. We've mentioned this one before. They both played on Gary Burton's "Six Pack" in several tunes. It was usually a blues that they had B.B. King on it. Great album. Had both Sco and Kurt Rosenwinkel and some other big name players.

EDIT: Doh I was too slow. Lets go with OLIVEBRANCHES' connection. BTW: Olie, we're trying to make it harder by you having to name the album too (I think we're doing concert now too). Just to make it more specific.
  10. Elia

Apr 12, 2005
    Lester Young played with Horace Silver ("Masters of Jazz: Lester Young," early 50s compilation)

Horace Silver played with Joe Henderson ("Song for my Father," 1964)

Joe Henderson played with Fred Hersch (Art Farmer: "Yama," 1979. I'll admit that this one took a little digging.)

Fred Hersch played with Drew Gress ("Live at the Village Vanguard," 2002)

Most of these old-guys-to-jam-band-guys threads are taking the same path, of the older guys' newer bands picking up young guys that go off. Maybe let's get some genre-crossing as well?

How about Egberto Gismonti to Sweets Edison?