1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Gated Fuzzes?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 23, 2012.

1. I know of the Brown Dog, Mammoth, & Oxide.

Any others out there?

2. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    My current fave: Mountainking Magnetar.
    Honorable mention: Fairfield Circuitry Unpleasant Surprise.

3. Fuzzrocious Grey Stache!

4. Also, I think the small sound/big sound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine is gated and same with the McSpunckle Effects Gnomeratron VTF

5. Thanks guys ^^

I'm looking for a gated fuzz and I'm trying to decide between the Mammoth & Brown Dog (but I'll consider others).

I like the mammoth due to the EQ knob.
    I like the Brown Dog due to the price.

My question is can you pull off the Mammoth tones out of the Brown Dog? For example, when you turn the EQ of the Mammoth heavily toward the left for a very bassy fuzz with high's cut - can you get that with the Brown Dog ?

It seems due to that EQ know you can get tones "easier" out of the Mammoth. But I would consider the BD if it could be pulled off, but with a bit more knob twisting.

Are their other gated fuzzed like the Mammoth with a tone knob for easy tone shapping?

6. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I think the Grey Stache can be ordered with a gate option but is not gated by default. The TAFM used to be the same way although current models seem to all have the gate foot switch.

7. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Oct 23, 2011
    I really like the Zvex Mastotron. It's a bit different tone wise from the Mammoth but it's reasonably priced. The sub switch is quite effective and the impedance knob (push/relax) is very useful. Worth checking out.

8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    want a Mammoth? just get a clone! I have owned one for over three years now and it kills...I believe it was originally a madbean PCB. Use it all the time for that synthy gated fuzz sound

9. +1 they only cost about $50 to make