1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass gear for a traveler

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tb_user, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I’m a lot on the road for my job and at the hotel in the evening I’d like to practice. So I’m currently looking for some gear I can take easily with me. I got a Hohner headless bass and Sennheiser HD-25 SPII (60 Ohm) headphone. Now I’m looking for some kind of a small form-factor headphone pre-amp (or something like this) that sounds good w/ my headphone. An aux-input for an mp3-player would be nice. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The Korg Pandora is designed exactly for this purpose. A veritable swiss army knife.

Or, if you're planning on travelling with a laptop I can also recommend the Line 6 Pod GX which comes with the excellent podfarm software. I use this virtually all the time at home for practice. The pandora lives in my gigbag for those 'just in case moments.

The podfarm software is much better quality than the Korg, but the Korg is much more versatile and useful, it's just not that deep when it comes to editing. Not that the Korg sounds bad, it's perfectly adequate for practice and at a push gigging, it's just not spectacularly great sound quality. I must add though that my Pandora is the previous PX4D version, not the current version 5 (what ever it's called).

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I prefer the Vox Amplug to the Korg PX4D, less bells and whistles but gets the job done for less cash and sounds pretty decent too. They both hiss a bit though, if you want something more pristine without amp modelling, check out the Cafe Walter HA-1, [sfx] H1 or EA Earwig. Also there is the DHA VT1-EQ-Drive, a tube preamp with aux in and headphone out.

At the moment I'm using my pedalboard into a Radial JDI into a Behringer Micromon which sounds good but isn't that convenient for travelling. I start a new job soon where I could also end up travelling a lot so the cheap Vox Amplug I picked up recently should come in handy!

4. bass.bert

bass.bert

Dec 27, 2009
    the boss tu-88 tuner is also ok for practicing. it has a metronome and an aux-in…

5. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    The EBS MicroBassII will do the job and soooo much more..

It's a great pre-amp/headphone-amp, has AUX in which is blendable with your bass signal and it's very versatile in rehersal/live settings.

The 'Swiss Army Knife' term doesn't do this pedal justice. Combine it with a Boss RC-2 and you've got the meanest and most versatile practicing machine ever.

6. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    I bought the Pocket Rocket V2 and it works well

7. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Tascam MP3 Bass trainer. Holds 240 songs,tuner, metronome,effects,and more.
    Fits in your shirt pocket. $199.00

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I would highly recommend the PJB Bassbuddy, for high fidelity. I also just got my hands on a Boss DD-20 and the headphone out is really good.

10. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    If you have an Apple computer (for Garageband, but a PC with audio software would work as well), you could get an audio interface like the Tascam US-144 and use your laptop as a practice amp. I've done this on the road before.

11. The Line6 Bass floor Pod has all th ins and outs you're looking for + amp modellers (including a synth), effects - octaver, compressor and envelope follower, tuner and wah/volume and it'll fit in a laptop sleeve.

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've done this tons and tons of time.. tried most of the solutions...

Small direct to USB mp3 player (Pillips Go Gear)

Vox Amplug

Ashbory

All fits in an overhead bin or behind the last seat row (there's a ledge back there the stewardesses put thier magazines on)

This is the only setup that can be in and out of a bag fully set in 30 seconds..

13. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The Tascam BT-MP Bass Trainer works well. It is compact and fits in your bass bag. It has a tuner, metronome. Best of all, you can transfer mp3 files to it from your computer that can be played along with. Play options include looping phrases of any length (determined by you), slow down and speed up without changing key, bass boost to hear parts clearer and deliberate key change.

14. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
    I use Boss MICRO BR Digital Recorder

Not as many bass-specific features BUT is does have a tuner, drum patterns, ability to download MP3s - and it's a multi-track recorder. Fits in your pocket and sells for $200.

I find all kinds of work related and non-work related uses for mine while on the road.

The only downside I find is that the controls are not intuitive.