1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass gear for a traveler

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tb_user, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I’m a lot on the road for my job and at the hotel in the evening I’d like to practice. So I’m currently looking for some gear I can take easily with me. I got a Hohner headless bass and Sennheiser HD-25 SPII (60 Ohm) headphone. Now I’m looking for some kind of a small form-factor headphone pre-amp (or something like this) that sounds good w/ my headphone. An aux-input for an mp3-player would be nice. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Cafe Walter HA-1A

No frills ... just pure unadulterated bass tone with a 1/8" input for external mp3 player etc. and a 1/4" line out

/thread

3. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Check out a Cafe Walter HA-1A headphone amp. I believe they are available through Bass Northwest.

They are pretty simple devices designed specifically for headphone practice. They have an aux input for your iPod or whatever with separate volume controls for your instrument and your mp3 player.

4. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    D'oh! rakirksey beat me to it!

like he said...
    /thread

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Since you're looking for a headphone amp with an MP3 aux in, I'll just through the Tascam BTI MP3 Bass Trainer.

Holds up to 200 songs (about 3 minutes each), can slow down or speed up without changing pitch (couple steps either way), onboard tuner, fx, looper, etc. It runs on an internal battery that is charged with the included USB cable or optional converter. You can manage the folders when connected to the computer too.

Just throwing it out there. Some good prices on the bay and used other places.

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    another way to go is to use a small laptop with a USB interface (i.e. Native Instruments Guitar Rig, Ampeg SVX or Amplitube) and the amp and fx models that typically come with the interface.

With this set-up you can do everything you said you want to do. They have very nice amp and fx models, drum tracks, tuners, and you can run any mp3 file and play along with it. Totally portable too. Of course you have to pay for a laptop, but decent ones are currently very affordable.

I was looking for a similar arrangement last year, and have been very happy with my set-up. This kind of rig also sets you up to do recording too if you ever want to do that, plus you have a laptop in the bargain, so if you need/want any computing power on the road, you're good to go.

good luck

7. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, I have an Asus Eeepc with a 10" screen (but they go down to 7"!) that works perfectly as a small audio workstation. I have a bus-powered USB interface that works perfectly, and with a setup like this your options are really expanded. You can record, arrange stuff, and even used other cool stuff like the Korg Nanokey: (I own one, it's forills)
    http://korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=415

Portability is the new magic!

8. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    svt/810.