1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Gear Magazine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Masher88, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd like to congratulate Tom Bowlus (TB member) and his buddies of the successful launching of his new magazine!

I received the actual paper copy (you can get online subscriptions, too) So far, I've almost read it cover to cover! Awesome pictures, great info about the gear. I find myself just staring at the great gear for seconds at a time! The clear writing style doesn't leave one confused with a lot of double speak.

As the name implies, it's all about gear...not players, playing techniques or other goings on in the industry. Just gear reviews and the people who make the gear. Wait, I take that back, there was one very interesting article about bass factories in China. But I guess that about making gear too!!! As with Bass Player Magazine, (as good as it is) I really don't care about most of the players they interview and I end up just skipping to the gear reviews anyways! Imagine, a whole magazine dedicate to just gear reviews...Tom Bowlus did!

High end gear (Ritter, AGC) and low end too (Squier). Everything is fair game and put into context of what it is and what function it serves us as players.

The ratings system is fun and informative and the technical data is useful too! You can tell they are not biased and just report the facts as they see them.

I urge everyone to check it out. http://www.bassgearmag.com/web/

Again, Congrats on a great idea, and a wonderful execution of the idea! And...thank you!

2. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    It would have to be better than "Bass Player" magazine. Just the fact that it even exists puts it in that category. I liked the now defunct "Bass Guitar" magazine.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank you for the kind words! I do appreciate them, and I have to give credit to a whole team of people who really dedicated themselves to this magazine. BGM is very much a team effort, and we are fortunate to have a team of talented folks who are really into what the magazine is all about.

For the record, though, I personally enjoy Bass Player very much, and I think that it is an excellent magazine. Their focus is just a bit more broad than ours. And although I was sad that Guitar World's Bass Guitar (for whom I used to write reviews) went the way of the do do bird, let me point out that the UK's Bass Guitar is still alive and well, and is definitely worth subscribing to.

Finally, if you really enjoy in depth player interviews, tips, techniques, and whatnot, Jake Kote's Bass Musician Magazine is outstanding (and has its own forum here on TalkBass!).

Again, thank you for the support! :)

Tom.

4. Im gonna have to get me one of these

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of my paper copy :)

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I got mine on Friday in the mail and felt like a kid at Christmas.

I had really high hopes for the quality of the magazine, and it has exceeded my expectations. Tom and company have done an excellent job in the reviews and the level of detail is fantastic. The reviews are far more in-depth and even-handed than in most magazines where flaws go unmentioned/ignored from fear of advertisers pulling out. In particular I'd like to applaud the arrangement and comprehensive structure of the technical side of the reviews -- every last detail of the piece of gear is addressed and the bench testing manages to be both thorough yet comprehensible to the reader.

Kudos to Tom and all those involved. :)

7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I was going to settle for the online copy but after seeing it, I must go for the print version.

Again, well done!

8. i have a pretty low grade computer and an internet connection here. its not loading past page 60 or around that at all. after that my computer stops responding for a while and then the browser window closes:mad: every sing time!
    can some one please please copy and paste the text of the made in china like part here? the article which talks about gear manufactured in China.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks again for the kind words, folks!

Varunkapahi, have you tried downloading the .pdf file? Yes, it does cost $1.99, so it's not free, like the iPaper version, but it might solve you connectivity issues.

Tom.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I'm looking forwad to isuue #2.

When and what can I expect?

11. i dont mind paying 1.99$ but i will need to probably get a card for that :meh:
    anyway i'd try reading that section from another computer somewhere else
    thanks

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    :bassist:

13. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I like that there are bottles of various Scotch around the pictures of the AGC Bass (scottish made).

Is that part of your own scotch collection, Tom? ;)

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, those are part of my personal collection. :smug:

The theory was, 'Single Cut, Single Malt, Scottish goodness', or something like that. :D