1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Gear Magazine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by MR PC, Sep 23, 2008.

1. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm wondering what this magazine is all about. Looks interesting. I saw some prominent TB members/contributers included the masthead when I checked it out online.

Is Bass Gear Magazine a new business venture for TalkBass.com?

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Tom Bowlus on the EB side of TB has started that magazine. It is not related to TB as far as I know.

3. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Just wondering, because I see 3 or four high profile contributors from the DB side making contributions to the mag, including Chris Fitzgerald.

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Tom Bowlus (editor) and Martin Roseman (publisher) dreamed up this mag after another bass mag Tom was writing for folded up. It's pretty slab oriented but there is some stuff in there for DB.

I've done a bunch of work for Tom and his bandmates over the years so they asked me to provide technical evaluations of the electric basses they reviewed. I don't talk about it much around here mostly because of the CUP grey area.

It's not related to TB but many of the contributors and editors are active on TB. That is not that unusual there are many Bass Player staffers that have participated in the BG side of TB as well.

It's a simple idea. All gear related stuff. Nothing much about playing or rock stars. Trying to come up with some standards to compare products to each other in a way that can help the consumer make informed choices.

Some controversy has already erupted on the BG side of things. It was expected. I figured I'd be in tar and feathers soon but so far nobody is bombing my shop.

5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Here's hoping that all goes well with the new venture.:D

I might even subscribe if things aren't to pricey.

I do understand that self publishing is a "love it or get out of it" type of situation, and setting a price for the content has to be balanced with the price folks are willing to pay for information and entertainment.

6. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I have nothing to do with that. I just write and send it in.

7. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Now, that's a good job to have!

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    It's only a job when you get paid. It's a nice hobby at the moment.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    What Phil said. :cool:

And as for subs, while we do offer a print sub ($30/year, which is 6 issues; more for international subs), we also offer a free digital subscription (viewed as a digital flipbook, which can be a bit demanding on your internet connection), as well as a downloadable pdf for each issue ($1.99 per).

Thank you for the kind words! We are going to be seeing more upright-focused reviews and articles in issues #2 and #3. Though Phil is right, it is more electric bass than it is double bass, we are trying to feature both sides of the coin. We are also trying to keep the mag as 'international' as possible, with factory tours, trade show coverage, and reviews from makers across the globe.

Tom.

P.S.
    Don't worry, Phil. We'll make it a proper 'job' soon! :smug:

10. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    THWACK!! It made such a loud noise on the doormat it had to be a magazine and as this was the only one I was expecting I approached the front door with some excitement. Yes at last it has arrived (international subs take a bit longer to arrive) and well worth the wait. Man this sucker is huge, making Bass Player seem very lightweight and insubstantial and way less ads too. Really looking forward to digging into it as a quick flip through reveals a new take on gear reviews (about time). Looks like the wait will have been totally worth it:D

Problem is that this will do nothing for my GAS:meh:

11. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have read most of my first issue and have been impressed. I am a gear freak anyway so it is fun stuff. Tom does a lot of the reviews, (which he said is temporary) but I have no problem with because he does an excellent job. I know he has given me valuable input on TB in the past. And I agree with him on the equipment that I have first hand knowledge on. I hope he does a test on the Aguilar DB750 soon!

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good idea! :D

And thanks for the kind words. As for the number of reviews, I'm still doing more than I'd like for issue #2, but we are definitely bringing in more reviewers, and by issue #3 of #4, I should be down to a more manageable proportion of the review writing. :cool:

Tom.

13. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Tom, will the publication be reviewing any vintage gear?

14. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    There's an idea!

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I believe Martin? said there would be an article looking into the myth or fact of Acoustics power ratings being more conservative than current ratings.

So it sounds like they are willing to look at vintage gear. :hyper:

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Why yes, this has been one of our plans from the get go. We have a Trace Elliot V8 review partly done, and we have plans for a dual vintage SVT and SVT-VR review. Some other vintage review ideas which we will likely see over the next year or so include the Traynor Mono Block B, a nice vintage Fender or two, and an old Acoustic rig (not sure excactly what config just yet).

Tom.

17. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    I read the e-version of the first issue. I liked it! It had some shnazzy custom basses in there that made me drool for about a half an hour.

18. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California