Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass gear reviews

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Nov 11, 2005.

1. I have been all over the net, checking reviews on bass gear before purchasing. In some cases I have found very helpful info, and in others I've been disappointed with the info provided since I didn't know the context which the user was writing it.

Here's the question... if YOU could determine what information was available in a review, what would it be?

I'll get the ball rolling:

A) User experience level (Amateur, Intermediate, Pro) and years playing
    B) A discussion thread on the review.
    C) Response from the manufacturer so that low scoring equipment get both sides of the story... example: I read 2 Carvin amp reviews (R600 I believe) that scored really low due to them blowing. A good response from Carvin (Example only!!) would be "A substandard MOSFET was found to be the problem and all production units are using a new one".
    D) Genre in which the user plays
    E) Other equipment used
    F) Size and make-up of the room(s) in which this gear was used. This is important since bass frequencies are highly influenced by the room
    G) Link to additional reviews found on the net.
    H) Sound clip (although space may be limited and posting MP3s is not the best way to get a quality recording across). Also, recording methods and quality will definately fluctuate.

- Andrew

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    When I look at a user review I take it with a grain of salt. It is subjectively written by a bass player who might think the world of a bass that I might find to be pretty awful. That said, if I see many favourable reviews on a certain model, then there has to be something to it. Of course until I play the bass myself, I reserve all final judgement.

I like to see information about the construction and playability of the bass, and also the tone and versatility. Whether or not the owner is pissed off because the action was to high or UPS delivered it a day late is of no interest to me. I also find it useful to know the purchase price of the bass and whether or not the owner has had any dealings with the manufacturer.

When I look at professional reviews I want the works, including comparisons with other models ( whether it be basses or amps or effects) as well as product testing and pricing. Obective reviews are hard to come by because in many cases the manufacturer is a client of the publication but sometimes even tainted feedback is better than none at all.

3. Bump.

The reason I was asking is this: I do internet programming as a side business, mostly custom database integrated applications. I think collectively we could design a review database that would suit our community perfectly - and as part of the process force the reviewer to reveal their biases, weaknesses and strengths. This way the reader can get a good idea of whether or not the review is applicable to their situation.

- Andrew

4. One of the biggest problems with open forum reviews is people posting reviews of: 1. Gear they just bought yesterday and have played for 3 hours and (of course) they think its the best gear ont he planet. 2. Gear they tried at Gitfiddle-Mart last Saturday, with a bass off the rack (likely out of tune), and they abosutley hated the tone. 3. Gear that was bought to make the band sound better (they've all been playing about 3 weeks) and the gear must suck because we don't sound any better.

Sure I know that there is no way to stop all of that but it really makes it hard to rely on user reviews. However, if there are a high number of reviews on a certain item you can usually find some useful information. It would sure be nice to have a real objective test, comparison, or shootout for anypeice of gear you wanted.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

That would be cool :cool:

6. I agree. I personally hold off for quite some time before submitting reviews, but not everyone will. I usually make sure that I gig with it so I can hear it live with a band.

Hopefully by asking the review the right questions, the reader will get an idea of how valuable this review would be to them.

One other great idea I just had is this: "Give me a rating on the product based on criteria, such as 'only users who have used it for more than n months', or 'only users who have been playing for n number of years'".

- Andrew

7. Another Idea I am not sure how practicle it would be was if each person had a username and when you looked at someones review you could tell ity if you agree or diagree with the review. Then it puts it into YOUR profile and over a period of time if you keep agreeing with person A then it will show you that you seem to have similiar tastes. If you are continually disagreeing with person A it will show his review doesnt hold much merit with you. Again I dont know how practicle that would be but its an idea.

8. That's an excellent idea... the review system could be weighted for you personally using a method like this...

Keep 'em coming guys!

- Andrew

9. Yeah good idea, a sign in system that required some sort of profile would allow you to know a-little about the reviewer. And it would be nice to be able to keep track of useful reviewers. :bassist: