Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass gear shops in Houston Area...please help me!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hiperi0n, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Hello guys...i'm from Italy..but i will come in Houston at April...so i need to know what are the best shops for bassist there in Houston Area...i would like to go there try some good basses and hope to bring back with me in italy a really good axe...
    if you can please give adresses also and if they have a web site...i thanx anyone want to help me!

2. in my opinion- the place w/ the most cool bass gear is Rockin Robin on S. Shepard
    http://www.rockinrobinguitars.com/

They have one or 2 pieces of many the name builders (sadowsky, Mann, skjold, fodera, MTD, nordstrand, etc.) as well as the factory produced stuff (Fenders, ibanez, music man,hamer, etc)
    Ampwise they got a bunch of standard stuff

If your looking for super exotic you might have to go to Austin Texas (bass traders) about 3 hr car ride away
    No Dingwalls thou...
    frank

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    +1 on Rockin Robin.

4. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    +2 on Rockin' Robin

5. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    +3 on Rockin Robin

:D

6. cool..thanx guys...i have seen the web site because i seen on F-bass site that it is a dealers for F-bass.

It have also good section of pre-owned basses?

anyway if you know also other shops where maybe i can find some interesting pre-owned or brand new basses...just tell me...better to go in more places if i will not find something cool with the money i will have :bassist:

7. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
  8. cool basses...never heard of them before..i will check them out

also if my first choice goes for an F-bass possibly used...but i think it's not so easy to find in a shop during the short time i will be there..i should be really lucky to find it

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    +4 on Rockin Robin

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    +5 on rockin' robin.

Also, There's Fuller's Vintage Guitar. Not much in the way of boutique mainly Rickenbacker, Fender and Gibson basses. Its a great store though

11. and where it is that shop "Fuller's Vintage"? if you can give me an adress or a web site..so when i will be there i will know where to go :)

12. Fuller's Vintage Guitars
    116 North Loop
    Houston, Texas 77008-2147, USA
    Phone: 713-880-2188

I've always been kinda partial to Parker's Music. I haven't been there in a few years, but that used to be the place to go for oddball Rickenbackers and a great selection on G&L. Prices were good, as well.

9941 North Fwy, Houston, 77037
    (281) 820-0011

Mike

13. thanx also to you Mike....i hope to find something interesting...
    as i said my first choice will go for an used F-bass...but i don't think it's so easy i can find it in a shop...or you see used F-basses in shops?

14. rockyrobin seems the best shop...his website seems not so much good seems not so much updated...i think is better i will go to see in person when i'm there...if someone has other ideas for bass shops...just tell me :)

15. +6 for Rockin Robin :)

I've never been to Parker but I've heard it's good. The drummer in my side project was kicked out of there once :D

Also, there are two Guitar Centers in Houston, if that's your kinda thing. One south of town in Clear Lake and one north of town near the Spring area.

16. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    What happened to the one on Westheimer?

17. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    its still there..

18. i will check also those guitar centers...i will make relatives crazy bringing me in all those places...ehehe
    think is quite easy to come in all those places with public transport?or it's quite an odissey?

19. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Houston, being as spread out as it is, is not a public transportation city. I'd suggest renting/borrowing a car if you need to go anywhere.

20. i supposed that....hope my relatives bring me in that shops....or lend me a car :hyper: :hyper:

thanx guys hope to find something cool..if don't find before on TB on online shops