1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass going to the luthier...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcr23, Apr 29, 2010.

1. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    So that SR650 that I bought with the burled poplar top/mahogany body had some severe buzzing issues in the first 4 frets--especially the first.

I figured it was either a truss rod adjustment or a getting a new nut/saddle adjustment at most. Guitar Center gave it back to me with no charge saying it has severe fret issues between the 1st and 4th frets.

So now it's at a Luthier and he's getting back to me this weekend on what it will need. The frets all seem fine and the luthier's asst said the neck had a "hump" in it so I'm hoping he can fix it with a truss rod adjustement. :confused::(:meh::bawl:

So now I have a new shuttle 9.0 and on friday a new 210 cab I can't play because the bass is in for repair :mad:

2. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    That's a shame, but if you can't (or don't want to) send it back, then a trip to the luthier is all you can do.
    Hopefully all it will need is a fret leveling, truss-rod adjustment and a new nut. Even if the hump can't be adjusted out, a good luthier can pull the frets, shave down the fretboard, and it'll be fine, although that kind of work is expensive and usually reserved for old Jazz basses and the like.
    So cheer up. If you picked the right guy to do the work on your bass, it'll be much better than new when you get it back.
    :bassist:

P.S. Maybe it's time for a #2?

3. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010

Thanks man. This is my 1st bass; I'm a guitar player. So, I'm kind of irritated/upset about it. I wasn't planning on buying another one anytime soon. :(

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I suspect it's just a simple truss rod issue. Generally back bow (which looks like a hump) will only affect the first frets (not uncommonly, frets 1-7). With a truss rod adjustment and maybe a shim, it shouldn't be an issue at all. Don't be upset - this kind of thing is common when you buy from GC because they don't understand the concept of setting up a bass or guitar. Ever notice that the best setup instruments there are usually used?

5. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    Oh that is true. I tired a Les Paul Custom thee once an laughed at them. The nut was obviously cut too deep on the high E, the intonation was off, etc.

I bought this off EBay. Probably my first mistake. :bag: