Bass Grades

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Scriv1989, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Scriv1989

Scriv1989

Nov 19, 2009
    Hey,

I have been playing bass for roughly 8-9 years but I have taught myself entirely, through books, scales and learning songs etc. I'd say I have a good feel for the instrument but I want to take my playing to higher level. Has anyone done bass grades and are they worth doing? If not then perhaps someone could share how they learnt? Right now I am a student so I'm not really in a position to pay for regular lessons.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Well ... when I started playing bass I had lesson so I learned quickly for 4 years then I went to college on the double bass classical and jazz. So I learned a lot more the "how and why" and some of the musical genius of the past.

after that I learned by myself some slap and tapping technic on bass. I prefer to learn new music instead.

3. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    what is bass grades? a course, a website? give us a little more! when it comes to graded music i'm only familiar with royal conservatory....

i googled it and found registry of guitar tutors ....is this it? i'm sure it's a decent course ...however it is european so i'm not sure if a "grade" holds much weight internationally....the books are reasonably priced...

it prolly wouldn't be a great deal different if hal leonard were to assign an exam/grading system to their into coure books! but until someone looks inside, it could be the best or worst bass course ever!?

4. Scriv1989

Scriv1989

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks for your input guys,

Sorry I should have been a little more specific. I was looking at the rock school grades in particular. But I also saw the registry of guitar tutors one which looked promising. I'm just wondering if any of them are worth the investment or not thats all!

I guess it wouldn't hurt to order a couple of the rock school grade books to check them out!

Cheers,
    Aaron

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021