1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass/guitar amp and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris V., Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I'll be off to uni' before I know it and was wondering about amps...

I've started playing a lot more guitar recently and I would like to be able to practice guitar at uni' too.

So what would be a good option for a guitar/bass amp and cab which I can also use for band practices?

Thanks guys,
    Chris

P.S. - I don't want a headphone amplifier - I've tried that and it ruins the experience for me.
    P.P.S. - if there is a headphone output on the amp I won't object either. It would be nice to be able to practice in the wee hours...

2. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    i saw a video of a guy playing guitar through one of the hartke hydrive combos, sounded as good as most other guitar combos would. also is fantastic for bass, id imagine anything with a good EQ section would allow you to tweek the amp for guitar and bass.

3. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    Ampeg V-4

4. Yeah, the Ampeg is the obvious option. But I would like a few more suggestions before I go hunting.

Also, Ampeg has never truly been to my liking...

Thanks!

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You want a head and cab, or a small combo amp? If you want to play both bass and guitar, I'd shop around for bass amps, using your guitar to try them out.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Practicing guitar/bass at a uni at any kind of volume will most likely get your roommate(s) and neighbors pissed off, even if it is during the day. There's little or no sound proofing in the dorms so sound (especially the bass) travels with ease. Also, I used to study until 2 or 3am and wake up later. So people are sleeping/studying during the day as well. I suggest that the headphone option is really not an option.

If you're living in a dorm (or living off campus) space can be very tight. Packing in 2 guitar cases and a small rig/combo may or may not be an option, depending on the room size.

As far as "ruining" the experience for you, a head phone amp is probably the way to go so you don't "ruin" the experience of your neighbors.

Good luck with your studies. You might want to wait until you get to the uni to decide what amp to buy.

7. I asked my brother, who is at the same uni' as the one I want to go to, if he knows anyone with amps - he knows a guy with two huge decks who mixes dubstep all night and several people with 2x12" - 4x12" guitar stacks. Apparently no one minds as long as you're playing during the day at a reasonable level.

The thing is, I would like to be able to use the same amp for practicing in the dorm as jamming with a band - so it would need to be loud enough for that, but compact enough for a dorm...

What about cab suggestions then? PA cabinet?

8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Look at the active (ie: powered) Carvin LS1503 cabinet. It's three-way, with a very respectable bass sound. If you have some decent guitar pedals for a solid distortion sound, I think it might be a good solution. You can also plug a microphone directly into it.

Otherwise, you might consider a Roland keyboard amplifier.

(the Carvin gets GREAT reviews here on Talkbass for a standalone bass cabinet)

9. Thanks! I'll look into it.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1000

.................or a V4B (you only really need one cab but they also look cool as a stack :smug: )

v4b-stack-1.

11. Carvin makes a "Multi-purpose" amp/portable P.A./Watchamathingy.

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Seriously...

I was once in your shoes.. .. took me months to give it a serious try.

Consider the headphones through tiny amp with an aux in...

It is nice not having to set it up..

I own gear that works for your scenario.. the key is to be able to open or close the back of the cabinet.

T.

13. Spill the beans then, Mr. T. Lend me some of your golden nuggets of truth and knowledge! :bassist:

What cabinets can do that though?

I've also been considering an old Selmer 100 watt amp which I think would be pretty cool for guitar too. But then there is no headphone option if I end up living next to someone with ultra-sensitive hearing.

14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    sorry about the V4 stack pic i posted above, but i couldn't resist as they do make great guitar and/or bass rigs, but i think that a more practical approach would be to get something like a sansamp PS1:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/psa1_1.html

........and a full range combo amp, or possibly even a powered monitor or keyboard amp (my keyboardist has a pretty nice Roland that comes to mind). i have been able to dial in great bass tones using a PS1 going direct in the studio. i have also gotten pretty close to a tweed deluxe, fender bassman, marshall plexi, or and AC30 (complete with hum & circuit noise)as well (also going direct). its all about setting up the FIVE gain stages (six if you count output level). so, once you get the tone that you like, a full range amp or powered monitor would just amplify it. some people don't like tweeters (as they can sometimes sound synthetic), but with the sansamp, our studio monitors (Tannoy series 12's with bag end subs) actually sound like a real guitar amp. the PS1.1 even has a headphone out for silent practicing.

2 cents.............

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Any affordable, compact, light-weight transistor/neo bass combo (similar to this one @ ~ $800) with a headphone out, a 12" speaker, and enough volume to jam with others would do. (Portability can be an asset when attending cross-campus social events/festivities.)

To zero in on an optimal guitar sound, check out one of Tech 21's Character Pedals or perhaps their Para Driver DI to have a good-for-any-instrument amp & speaker simulator with direct box functions (for use after you leave uni).

16. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Scholtz Bass Rockman!

17. Thanks guys, I'll check out the SansAmp stuff - it looks like a poweramp with a preamp would probably be best.

I'm currently looking into options for a removable back panel cabinet...

18. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Actually what I've been using for practice and light jams has been my USA Blues Deluxe.

I still have my Rockman from back in the early 80's

Great for those wee hours

19. Thanks for the input.

Any other suggestions?