Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass/guitar amp setup question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thelonius, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Thelonius

Thelonius

Feb 14, 2001
    I am a recent convert from guitar to bass though I hope to continue playing both. I’m sorry if this question is a bit rudimentary but I need a little information for selecting some new amplification.

As I said I will be playing both bass and guitar and would like to get a bass head and a guitar head and share one cabinet. This decision is spawned by a desire to save space as well as money. What I am wondering is will there be any issues in using one cabinet for both. Is there say any significant difference between a 2x10 bass and 2x10 guitar cabinet made by the same manufacturer that would effect the sound of either instrument for example. I will most probably be getting a mesa boogie head for the guitar and I am undecided on the bass though I am looking at Mesa, SWR, or Trace Elliot. The cabinet I get will be one of those and whichever I can find that will work well for both.

Thank you for any guidance you can loan me.

James Lee

2. This may seem a bit unorthodox, but I would suggest that you get a bass rig that you feel comfortable with and run both through it. Most guitars will sound good through a bass rig with some EQ tweaking. You could use outboard effects or a separate preamp for any distortion or other effects. I would advise against trying to run a bass amp through a guitar cabinet. The speakers in those usually are not capable of handling the power a bass amp will put out, and cannot cover the lower frequencies as well.

Another idea might be to get a good 4x10 or 2x12 bass cabinet, a good power amp, a guitar preamp and a bass preamp. You could keep both preamps and the power amp in the same rack and either employ an A/B box for switching between the two, or just unplug one and plug in the other when the need arises.

Either way, you will probably end up spending about the same amount on the rig. You can probably find everything used for $1500 or less.

If you want a Mesa amp, you can probably find a Formula preamp used, and then get something like an Alembic, Ampeg, SWR, or Trace Elliot preamp. Run them into a Crown, Crest or QSC power amp, and you should be set. Try to make sure you get a bass cabinet with a high frequency driver to cover the highs for your guitar.

Hope this helped some. Good luck.