bass/guitar amp speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SlowRiot, Aug 18, 2002.

1. SlowRiot

Jan 5, 2002
    I am often told that you shouldnt use basses with guitar amps because the speaker "cant handle" the lower frequency sounds, and can blow. I was wondering, what precisely makes a bass amp speaker technically different from a normal guitar amp speaker, and how exactly lower frequencies can "blow" a regular speaker.

I am aware that the human ear is less sensitive to lower frequencies, so to get the same percieved volume a greater wave amplitiude is needed, but surely that would only be the same as cranking your guitar amp up to full, and guitar speakers arent usually damaged by doing that...

i was also interested in buying some marshall mircostacks, but was told by the shopkeeper that a bass would "blow" them. Is this true, even for such a small amp? And again, how exactly would this work?
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    As far as I know over-excursion of the speaker cones is the main problem.
    Low notes make the speaker cones move farther than they should, this can destroy the cones and the suspension.
    There's also more energy involved with low notes so overheating (and melting) of the voice coil is another problem I guess.
    For this reason bass speakers are designed to allow higher excursion and to handle mor power.
    Maybe someone can explain it better than me - I'm no expert on this, sorry.