Bass guitar birthday present for my wife - help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by erikperik, Jun 9, 2004.

1. erikperik

Jun 9, 2004
    Hi all,

I'm not a bassist (I drum!), and I don't know much at all about basses.

As my wife's birthday is coming up, I'd like to buy her a bass. (The owner of the no-name bass she's been using for the last year is returning to the country, so she has to get her own now.)

She's pretty much beginner still, and money is definately an issue, so what I'm looking for are suggestions for good value basses in the beginner-level of things.

Explanations about why some basses are good/bad are also very welcome ('this rules', 'that suck' doesnt help too much...)

By the way...I was looking at an epiphone EB0 the other day, and it was said to be short scale... What does that mean? Is it good or bad?

Any help from you bass people will be greatly appreciated!

2. Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    I wanted a bass too..... i have been playing bass tabs on my acoustic guitar. Real pathetic... it sound so plain and snappy. At least your wife have a bass....
  3. erikperik

Jun 9, 2004
    ...I wanted a bass too..... i have been playing bass tabs on my acoustic guitar. Real pathetic... it sound so plain and snappy. At least your wife have a bass....

Yes...however, that's changing soon, so to avoid having her compete with my double bass pedal on my old, broken acoustic guitar, I'm counting on some help on this forum to get her a new bass... :)

Good luck to you too!

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
  5. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    There are soooo many options are there in the price range that you are looking at. I happen to think some of the basic Ibanez basses work out great. Something like this will usually go for about $200 street price

Is that too much?
  6. erikperik

Jun 9, 2004

No - I've looked at that bass on the net, and I guess that's about my limit price-wise. Thing is - when I look at basses on the net - I have no clue as to how to compare them... :).

Could you tell me a little something about what makes you find the GSR200 better than, say, Squier Affinity or Epiphone EB0?
  7. Bassone

Bassone Guest

Jun 8, 2004
    Australia, Sydney
    Aaaah funny u say that mate, a good friend of mine baught an epiphone EB0 last week (im from aus) it actually is quite expensive, but is very good, mine looks exactly the same but like 30 years older :p
    anyway, this friend of mine is a really seriouse bass player - hes been playing since he was 9 and i must agree it is a good bass ;)
    if ur wife is seriouse about her bass, shell appreciate its quality sound, if its more of a casual thing, id suggest a less expensive bass. but also, as i am from a diff country the bass prices for the epiphone EB0 may vary. Good luck mate :hyper:
  8. Bassone

Bassone Guest

Jun 8, 2004
    Australia, Sydney
    well with the epiphone EB0 ull see the frets actually have pearl marks on them, very flash.. it sounds clear and is a shorter scale, for faster finger work. pickups are good quality and the bass has is a nice clean woodgrain look, obviously with the red and black (standard) colour on top. heres a pick of my bass its quite similar to the epiphone EB0 but oldskool pickups, and at the time i took the photo, it was being restringed :D
  9. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Since the "physical interface" aspect between the player and their instrument is so very particular to that individual, why not casually suggest that you and she visit your friendly neighborhood music store... then just as casually, start handing her basses. Go from "Fender-esque" ones to "Gibson-ish" types... cover as many "bases/basses" as you can! :D

Remember to be keen on observing which type of bass she naturally feels most comfortable with. That should put you in the best position to surprise her later with your eventual gift.

Better yet, buy her favorite (budget permitting) right then and there! :eek:
  10. erikperik

Jun 9, 2004

Hmm...where I'm at (Norway - right on the other side of the globe :) - the EBO is just about the cheapest you can get - except the no-names. I'll look more into that one, then.

11. erikperik

Jun 9, 2004
    Good idea - I'll try that one...

However, chances are that the local stores have about 3 different basses in stock, 2 of which are way beyond my budget. Small town, y'know.

But I'll definately give it a go.

12. Bassone

Bassone Guest

Jun 8, 2004
    Australia, Sydney
    oops sorry mate im thinking of the epiphone EB-3 not EB-0 thats what i was on about with the pearl markings etc. lol
  13. erikperik

Jun 9, 2004
    Right! that one's more expensive. So then - you don't really know about the EBO...?

14. erik, definatly check out rondo music, and check out the SX and Brice range of models. if you try out the search function you will be able to find the SX MEGATHREAD (100 pages of pure SX!) ;) . They also offer wonderful customer service!

Ive heard many bad things about Ibanez but evidently they are extremly popular. Im not a fan, but ive never had one for a long term to really have a proper opinion...

Squire are also very well known brand, and are very hit or miss - some say best bang for the buck - others say they would only touch these with sledge hammers ;) So maybe you should get your wife to teach you a scale or two, so you can get a small grasp of how a bass feels, and sounds, then you can compare with other basses in stores (then order off the net if cheaper)..

Many things make lower-end models cheaper - pickups, hardware (tuners, bridge, nut), pickups, body woods, neck finishes, basically sometimes just about everything! The body woods can often not be an issues, however, as with these particuler basses (lower end) a lot will tend to be the same and not make that much of a tonal difference (many will disagree, i did say NOT THAT much :p). Pickups can be weak and will not have such an even, crisp, clear, bright or thumpy or low sound, however you should always try a bass through different amps, so you can see how the sale person's EQ'ing is affecting the tone of the bass.

Another recommendation would be OLP. I think they are around $180? I see them on ebay for $150! Often said to be closest clone to a Sting Ray (great basses!) Good body woods, pick up is OK, decent hardware - 80% of reveiws are best bang for the buck.

i dont suggest buying there, seems a tad expensive, however its some info on the bass, sorry for the long post! hope it helps!
    try using the search function for any more queries on different basses - will allow you to get a response straight away. :D
  15. Bassone

Bassone Guest

Jun 8, 2004
    Australia, Sydney
    nah man i aint too sure about that one's features see what the instrument shop owner has to say... personally i dont think the EB-0 is too bad, its nice for starting and stuff, once she gets better she might** want sumn wid better sound, but u might b able to pick up something with better value because epiphone are an expensive brand :smug:
  16. Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    If the playability of the EB-0 is even near the EB-3 then it's a great bass. I've never had a try on a 0 but I own an EB-3 and I love it like the daughter I'm yet to have. In practice the short scale means you don't have to strech your fingers so much; if your wife hasn't got overly big hands that could be a nice thing. On the other hand when she get's her next bass it'll probably be a long scale one, so it might be good for her to get used to the long scale from the beginning. I don't know. If I were you I would give her a promise you'll get her a bass and then take her shopping and get the one she likes.
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I was going to suggest just that. Their quality control is good even for their lowest-budget instruments, and they're everywhere in Europe. If your wife is a smaller person, she might like the fact that the bodies of their basses are smaller than the usual Fender jazz or precision bass clones.
  18. erikperik

Jun 9, 2004

Thanks for your tip - I hadn't looked into Yamaha yet...

Looking at local prices, it seems that RBX 270 and, only if I get a good offer from the dealer, RBX 370A might be within my price range. They'd be somewhat more expensive than a Squier Standard P bass / Epiphone EB0. The 370A is also slightly more expensive than for example Epiphone EB-3 or Thunderbird IV, or, say, Dean Edge 4.

How do these compare?

19. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Is there anyway you could get her into a music store to check out some basses, without her knowing your true intention. Maybe suggest that you want to check out some drumming equipment and take her along. That way you can see what she likes and go from there.