Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass guitar books?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OzzyOz, Jun 18, 2005.

1. OzzyOz

OzzyOz

Jun 15, 2005
    well i've been playing a year and a half, about a year with lessons once a week... and i still am having trouble playing with people, and listening by ear. Are there any books from www.amazon.com that are good for "begginers-intermediate"... I would like to learn to play by ear, play smoother, slap and tap better, learn bass lines... etc.
    I went on amazon.com and theres just too many good books, and i can spend 50.00's on books all together on bass...

So can anyone tell me 2-3 books that meet my demands... or what i'm looking to learn?

2. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If your goal is to play with people and play by ear, playing along with CDs would serve you better than a book.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    There are some books that come with CD's where you can get ride of the Bass and play with the band. My play along books right now is country, so that will be no good to you. I don't know what kind of slap book playalongs are out there tho.

5. OzzyOz

OzzyOz

Jun 15, 2005
    anyone know any good " ear training: perfect pitch" books or cd's that actually do help you get the "perfect pitch" that's what i'm mostly having trouble with i suppose

6. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    If anything clams to give you perfect pitch I would be weary. When I went to College that was my worst subject. Do not look for a quick fix for your ear in a book it takes a lot of work if your are having trouble I mean a lot of work. Listen to intervals over and over, Sing Melodies. If you don't know how to read music learn it that too will help with the ear. I still don't have perfect pitch, but when I was working on it my ears did get better. I would work my ass off for my sight singing and ear traning class and I still came out with a C average.

Well good luck.