Bass Guitar bridge designs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmusic808, Jun 12, 2002.

1. HI. I don't know if this was already addressed, but I could not find it in a search.

Could some of you explain some of the bridge designs and their pros and cons? I often hear about a hipshot or a badass bridge but don't know anything about their uniqueness. Info anyone??

2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll take a stab at it...

Your standard 'Fender' type bridge is a picture of form followin function... 1/8" to 3/16" bent brass plate, four individual saddles adjustable for height and intonation... Strings usually anchored to the plate... (Fender American basses are stringing through the body now, but I'm merely talking about the 'Fender' style bridge :D )

The Badass is basically the same principle using a heavier machined or cast brass block in place of the bent plate, the idea being that greater mass equals more sustain and solid sound. Some folks swear by this type of bridge, and it's popularity as a replacement item certainly says something about it... YMMV

Gotoh, Hipshot, Schaller, others all make several different styles of bridges, using different materials, and with many different features, not the least of which is the ability of some models to alter string spacing, have a choice of 'through-body' or 'standard' stringing, locking saddles, etc.

Hope this gets you started...

3. Thanks Robert. I was beginning to think no one was going to reply!