1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass/guitar cabinets.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flakeh, Aug 23, 2007.

1. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I saw an add for a 410, and the seller claimed that 410 cabinets can be used for both guitar and bass, that they are pretty much universal. Is this true.

If it is, I might have a marshal 410 for 100$

2. Slapped

Slapped

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    If it is a bass cabinet in the first place, it can be used by either, but I wouldn't run a bass through a guitar cab.

3. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    there is a big difference between a bass 410 & a guitar
    410. however, there was a time when they were the
    same (up till the 1970's).
    i would not touch a 410 for bass unless it was recently made
    except fot eden & swr

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It is absolutely not true.

5. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Any cab can be used for any instrument - it all depends on what kind of sound you are trying to achieve. A guitar 410 or 412 does not have the low end extension that a bass cab provides, guitar cabs are great for running distorted bass tones through (of course with the low end removed from the signal (Everything below 100hz on the bass signal).

As far as universal applications with modern day guitar cabs - not anymore. If the cab is from the 70's or earlier, it would sound good for bass - nothing much like the modern day bass tone though. Modern day bass tone has more low end and more definition in the high end. The older cabs are going to have less high end and less super low end - not a bad thing by any means, it just depends what sound YOU prefer.

Let's remember when the 1969 Ampeg SVT was issued it was not even designated a bass amp until several years later when most guitarists figured out a 100 watts of tube was plenty. Most bass players who wanted a big sound used the 300 watts of tube - from then on it was considered a bass amp.