1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass guitar care

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by juancho, Apr 8, 2006.

1. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    Im a newbie and It hasn´t been a month yet since I got my first bass, so.....Which are the basics of bass-caring? what would you recomend doing?

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Well first, for next time what you somewhat want to do is post in right section. This kind belongs in Basses [BG] located here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Its not big deal, the mods will probably move it soon. You will probably get a better response to your questions in relevant forums. Instead its me, who is pretty dumb as you will learn soon enough.

For your question, I found that a lot of people have their own opinion on how to take care of their bass. You can always invest in gig bag or hard-case which will protect it from damage. A lot of people clean thread board, I personally don’t do anything. I have a gig bag but I usually carry my bass in my hands. I figure if it doesn’t look like it was used it was not used properly. I believe my hero jazzbo has similar idea as I don’t think he uses cases either and from what I remember never even changed strings (I miss that guy, he needs to post more). I know several bassists who send their basses to someone to work on it, basically clean it, re string it, wax it, and adjust it. That’s another thing; you might want to adjust the thread to what is comfortable for you but doesn’t make it buzz.

Hope that helps, I think you have to choose for yourself though.

Welcome to bass world and to TB, I hope you will grow to love this place and learn how to live with horrible addiction what it talkbass and bass. I mean it's 1:16am and i am here practicing my bass and posting... and that’s after coming home:)

Cheers

3. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    ok, thanks. By the way, I started the thread in "off topic" because I had thought that Basses was about brands, models, etc...

And Now it´s 5.30 am here. I had an exam yesterday so I didn´t sleep very well the night before. Without caring about it, I´ve been practicing for 2 hours, so I think Iam "getting high" with these four strings and it is the begining of a "soul-filling" addiction.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Welcome to TB! I know a Juancho from Argentina from another forum but he lives in the US now I believe. Older guy.

bc

5. Welcome to TB. You aren't a troll, are you? Because if you are, we will have to execute you.

Bass care is all over the place. If you want to go paranoid, get a hard case, put in a humidifier, clean the bass with an approved cleaner every day, and change strings at least once a month.

Or, you can do what I do, which is hang your bass(es) on the wall, change strings whenever you feel like it, and occasionaly wipe them down with a rag to get rid of dust.

Rock on
    Eric

6. juancho

juancho

Mar 22, 2006
    Argentina
    jaj, no Im not a troll,...the thing is that I in med school so if you want to do something instead of studying, you must sleep less hours. But Im used to, so it´s no big deal.

Yes, I reaaly like those iron devices that you fix to the wall, like stores have. I think Im gonna get one.

and for DIGME: Im currently living in Argentina, only been to florida. must be other guy.

see you

7. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I don't do anything other than change the strings. None of my basses have fallen apart yet.