Bass guitar duo concept

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fonzie, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Fonzie

Nov 1, 2003
    Hi there!

I've played bass guitar for six years now, and I've been with several different bands and consepts. Recently I moved from my home town, and now I want to start a new band consept. The idea struck me some time ago that a bass guitar duo consept might be interesting to try out. But I've never heard of a bass guitar duo before, nor any music containing only two bass guitars and a vocal. Does anyone know of such a band and can give me a tip?

Kind regards,
    Øystein Johnsen, experimenting bass guitarist from Norway.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I couldn't say 2 Basses and a vocal but have heard some stuff with 2 basses and a drummer. Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey on the Bass Extremes. At one point, i had their song called Glorious Pastorius on my computer and it was an amazing listen. That's all
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    King Crimson, '94-97.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin.
  4. 2 bassists,drummer,and vocals would work really nice.

one could be rhythm,and the other could do lead.
  5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Damn, beat me to it!

A friend of mine is in a band with two bass players. One does the high end, the other the low parts.

But if your really good, you can do what Manring did. Three basses by himself!!! :eek: :eek: ;)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen him do that - but Steve Lawson did have to hold one of the basses up!!

That was at a joint workshop between Steve and Michael, where they made some great music between the two of them - both playing bass, sometimes as a duo - in their own different ways! ;)

I've also seen Ned's and another UK band called Delta 5 - who had two female bass players - one played high and brittle stuff and the other played in avery bassy, dub reggae style - they stood on opposite sides of the stage - the band did have drums and guitar as well - but the two bassist were the main focus.
  7. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    The hardcore industrial band Bile has two bass players.
  8. chuck calibre from oshawa has two bass players, and are really good, check them out everyone
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

He is amazing, period. :)

I've never seen him! :bawl:
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of Miles' electric '80s band had two bassists-
    One may have been Benny Reitveld.
    ...the other, on 'lead bass', was Foley.
    Not really my cup of tea.

IMHO, the only thing worse than 2 drummers in one band is 2 bass players in one band.
    Just one man's opinion...
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Remember, though, Foley was playing piccolo bass.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - he's on that video and just plays lead guitar - he may call it a bass - but he plays exactly what a guitar player might do in a similar situation. The only difference to my ears, is that A Jazz guitarist would throw in more chords - but he sticks to single note lines.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well, if I ever get my act together...Eli, LonnyBass and I are putting together a bass trio!
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dang, that's right! was so distorted I had forgotten.

Acoustically, Ron Carter played piccolo bass while Buster Williams played bass.

Electrically, Stanley Clarke played piccolo bass with Jimmy Earl on bass, too...IIRC.
  15. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    not sure whether it was already mentioned, but "Equilibré" from Michael Manring and David Cullen is a great fretless bass / acoustic guitar disc.