1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Guitar EQ settings

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by fodera1129, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I have been playing bass for over 20 years and believe it or not am still experiementing with amp settings, effects, and bass guitar settings to get that elusive "Eureka!" sound.

Surprisingly I never have seen anywhere where a pro discusses what settings are used on their bass, not the amp but on the guitar itself.

I recently decided to set my bass and treble knobs at max and keep the mid-range knob at just under halfway. This may be astupid question but is this setting common for others to get the best sound from their ax?

FYI, I am in a Funk/R&B band and do a lot of slapping.

2. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Seems as though we are on similar tracks. I've been playing twice as long and have recently been playing through rehearsal studio equipment. While it has been interesting hearing the 4 tens and 1 fifteen combo through a bunch of different heads, I am usually confused by the amount of knobs and mystical effect buttons on the amps. I usually set my (active) bass to neutral and flatten out the b-m-t to high noons turning off any EQ or anything else, and adjust in increments till I hear a familiar sound, then enhance/adjust with my bass b-m-t.

Like your style, I need to have a little edge on it for the tasty pop/slap every now and then and prefer deep throaty lows.

-richard

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't mean to step on Janek's toes by trying to answer this, but here's my take:

Most EQ's are a bit different from each other. Most basses sound a bit different from each other. Most rooms, most amp rigs, most tones we're each striving for, etc. etc. all sound a bit different. For this reason, it's impossible to say whether one EQ setting on one bass in one room etc. will translate to what another person hopes to hear in their room with their gear.

That's largely why you've never seen a pro talking about the EQ settings on their bass--because the EQ settings on their bass are almost meaningless to everyone else but them.

"If it sounds good, it is good."

4. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://bassstudio.janekgwizdala.com
    my EQ is always flat. Everything right up the middle. I try and make any adjustments I need to the sound with my fingers.

There are some amps that colour ones sound so much that it's impossible to do everything with your fingers, and I really try and stay away from ever using them as it really detracts from the the music and from what I do as a musician.

Easy,

Janek