1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass guitar for dummies

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Holk, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Holk

Holk

Aug 27, 2006
    Sweden
    Hello,

Just wanted to get some input if anyone thought this book (bass guitar for dummies) is worth the purchase?

I'm a few months old as a player and starting to run out of ideas on how to progress and need a little guidence and thought a book might be useful.

Thanks in advance.

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I've looked at it. It's not bad, but I think you can do better.

Check out the
    David Overthrow Electric Bass series, published by the National Guitar Workshop.

I think it's excellent.

3. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    My wife bought it for me for Christmas. It has an audio CD with it. So far I am impressed. I would recommend it. Lots of info.

4. metalbass777

metalbass777

Sep 3, 2006
    I have this book and it is very good. Don't let the name fool you. It's got 300+ pages of useful info. I highly recommend it!

5. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I reccomend it often ... bought it cheap on Ebay and it was worth every penny, if not several times what I paid for it ... it was written with me in mind ... and that scares me ... dont thnk its a cakewalk, or just for beginners ... I will be going back through it again, after I finish "The Complete Idiots Guide to Playing Bass Guitar" ... paid a lot more for this book, all of the price of one lesson ... cant go wrong with either, if you learn one thing you didnt know, its worth it ... but if you are new, you will not only learn a LOT, a lot will be over your head to grow into ... JOFOF (just an opinion from an old fart)

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  7. Complete Idiots Guide Playing Bass Guitar vs Bass Guitar For Dummies vs David Overthrow Electric Bass series.

Who wins. Heard good things about the dummies and Overthrow books all over Talkbass. For COMPLETE beginners.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Well The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar
    by David Hodge

was just released a few months ago.(and we all know how long Bass Guitar For Dummies by David Overthrow have been around) I have checked both books out(I have a copy of Hodges book in my house at this moment) and they both would be perfect for any one wanting to learn about the Bass guitar.

9. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    "Dummies" has become a brand that people look for and it sells well so the publisher can go after some of the better authors for a given subject. They have a format that works that they ask the authors to follow. They approached me about a book on a software development tool a few years ago so I got a little insight into how they do things. I passed on it because there was no way I could put in the amount of effort they required in the allotted time. Don't let the name fool you; they have high standards.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Exactly.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    After the first book, the Overthrow series is beyond Beginner. There are 3 books - Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced, and by the end of the series it really does present a very good, concise yet effective tour through bass playing.

I have looked at lots of materials over the years, and many are good, and many have at least Portions that are good, but pound for pound, I really think the Overthrow series is among the best out there. Very complete and very effective.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Have you had a chance to check out The Complete Idiots Guide to Playing Bass ?(and no I'm not being sarcastic)

13. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    I'm holding off for Bass Guitar for Total Knuckle-dragging Morons.

guitarflinger likes this.
  14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Not yet. :)

15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    as mentioned, I have both ... and have been through Dummies (<--ME) once ... and am 3/4 of way through Idiots (<--- ME AGAIN) ... I have found some flaws in Idiots, such as incorrect note/chords, and some illustrations referred to that are not present, etc ... but it is still very informative ... bottom line ... I would get them both, AND the Overthrow Series (I will put that on my list after Idiots) ... but I would do it in the same order that I did ... Dummies, Idiots, then ?? ... I am not exaggerating how much Dummies helped me ... I am not a beginner, in fact I first played over 35 years ago, but took almost 30 years off after that ... I never took the time to learn anything other than the songs I needed to learn for a touring band back then ... now I am 'Dummying' up and doing it right ... :) ... look at the price of each book as the price of one lesson ... you will have 2 VERY long lessons, with ability to go back over and over at your own pace ...

16. Holk

Holk

Aug 27, 2006
    Sweden
    wow, post a thread - go to sleep - wake up - reap the great advice :)

Thanks a bunch for the great answers, you convinced me and I've just now placed an order for the book.

Greatly appreciated!

17. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Bass Guitar for Dummies is an excellent reference book. Mr Pfieffer did a great job with it!

I have all of Dave Overthrows series of books (there are 8 in all at this time, I believe). They are all very good. He has also started releasing DVD's of them recently. I've taken lessons from him off and on over the years. He's a great guy, teacher and an excellent bassist! He definitely gets my recommendation also. :bassist:

18. You can always request it at your local library - if you want to try before you buy. If they don't have it they can request it from other libraries. The CD is sometimes missing, but not always.

19. azathoth

azathoth

Jul 6, 2006
    Dave Overthrow all the way.

I've used his books and he's quite good.

20. Holk

Holk

Aug 27, 2006
    Sweden
    quick question purely out of curiousity as I've already ordered and it's on it's way.

how is the book structured? Is it for example in lesson-format or maybe sections like chords-section and scale-section and so on?