1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Guitar for Dummies

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by T-Forty, Apr 1, 2009.

1. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I've read a few posts on here saying that it is a great book. I am by no means a beginner. I am a quite proficient rock bass player with a pick.

I want to expand though. My finger plucking technique is very basic and I only use it on slower songs without much movement between strings. I'd like to become a wizard at finger playing and eventually drop the pick unless a song calls for it.

In addition to this I'd like to vastly improve my improvisational skills.

Does Bass for Dummies come with a DVD? If not could someone recommend the best DVD for fingering (pizzicato?) and improvisational skills?

Thanks dudes!

2. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    I am not familiar with the english version, but the french version, "La Guitare Basse pour les nuls" had a CD (not a DVD) with it. I don't know if the french and english versions are the same translated in another language, but it is indeed VERY comprehensive and densely packed with useful information, one of the best training manual I've ever read.

3. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Merci beaucoup mon chum!

A CD would be good, but I'd definitely like some visual instruction.

Also...Habs fan??

I was in Montreal 2 weekends ago to go to the habs/leafs game that we pitifully lost.

Good to see someone on here from La Belle Province

4. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    Of course I am a Habs fan! Good luck come saturday Although... Oh, that's right! You're out of the playoffs already! ;)

5. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    It's a great book, though I used it mainly for scales and whatnot when starting out. It comes with a CD that goes along with the exercises in the book. However, I don't think this is what you're looking for. If you're looking for help with fingering and improv skills, I'd recommend books that specifically work on those...but I don't know any. Sorry.

6. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008
    +1, Great Book!

Beginner, intermediate and advanced players will love this book (IMO)... it's brilliant... (a little off topic) another great text is 'Idiots Guide to Music Theory'... that book is a permanent inclusion in my gear...

7. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    i started off with this book, and while it was a great introduction to playing bass, i would recommend booking a few lessons with a decent teacher instead. the problem with learning from a book is that you don't get any feedback on whether your technique is correct or not, whereas a good teacher can show you everything you want to learn and point out mistakes and bad technique at the same time. it definately helps to have books around, but specifically for technique, lessons are the way to go in my opinion.

8. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    You assumed I'm a leafs fan?! I am horribly insulted. I've been a habs fan since I was birthed. My Dad and Grandpa were die hard habs fans too

9. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    I think it is a great book with some really good information. I think that there is a lot of information that you might already know however. It is hard to learn any technique from a book. Get the book as it is a good value, but also get a nice good instructor too and you will be amazed at how well you progress.

10. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    I have it and use it as a reference once in a while:hyper:

11. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Have you tried youtube? I'm sure you can find some info on finger technique.

12. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    See the Todd Johnson forum here on TB. He has a technique DVD out. There should be some reviews about it on the forum. I have his "Walking Bass Lines" DVD and it's great. He is a very good teacher IMO.