Bass guitar for heavey metal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassit, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    Hi TB guys, Is there any brand of BassGuitar used for heavey metal specially? if it is freted or fretless.
    I mean the voice of the bass sounds very very heavey. :D
    Any advise is appreciate!
  2. uuummm.....B.C. RICH Warlock? Mockingbird? Virgin? Beast? Bich?

Never seen them used for anything else....

Seems to be the trend with younger "METAL" bands anyway
  3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004 It doesn't get any heavier than that. ;)
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How much money do you have?

For cheap I'd say ESP LTDs. Far better quality in the low range than anything by BC Rich (low end Riches are poo). If you have more money, say $500 to $1000 you should also look at Spectors and possibly Warwick. I don't like Warwicks, but lots of other do, so you might.
  5. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    mine works well............late 80's spector ns-2a with emgs and mec preamp. smokes!! and its light too!
  6. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    LTD seems wonderful for the price and performance. I don't like
    BC rich and warwick. and maybe spector will in my future list?
    anyway thank you all! Now I only have $300 ;(
  7. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    It really depends on the tone you want, and the kind of metal you wan't to play.
  8. C'mon guys what about JACKSON's who could forget seeing the Jackson concert bass getting whirled around by that guy wearing levis jeans that ran tight all the way down to his shoe boots (how'd they get levi's that tight?) ... Jackson, BC rich <<Vintage Rico stuff defenitely), also Kramers where big and came in wierd shapes and you still can find them real cheap on Ebay and other places. no matter what brand above look for the neck through models which is a quick way to find the american stuff that was well made.
  9. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Even dippping into the used market you'd be hard pressed to find a really nice Jackson for $300. They made some very nice instruments (I've own 3) but they've also cranked out their share of sub-standard crap...namely everything since the buyout.

The good stuff is mostly in the USA line from the middle 90s, and would probably be in the $500-1000 range even now. If you could find a nice sample from that era for $300 you'd have a good deal on your hands.

Actually I paid $300 for one of my Jacksons, the only I still own. Its a mid 90s vintage USA Custom Kelly that I bought off a guy in Guitar Center. He was trying to sell it for (he claimed) money to get to a rehab center. They offered him $300 for a mint condition custom made Jackson that the would have no trouble moving for $1200+.

I told the guy I'd give him $300 cash for it right then and he took my offer rather than let GC screw him.
  10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe Steve Harris of Iron maiden plays a Fender P-bass. You don't get more metal than Maiden! Just goes to show you...It's not WHAT you's HOW you play! :bassist:
  11. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a LTD B-204 that's got great tone. My first bass that I used for a metal band, and it got 'er done. Or take a look at the Rockbass line by Warwick if you're on a budget.

Oog :D
  12. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Look into the spector legend series. You may have to save up a few more bucks but it will definitly be worth it.