Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Guitar Holder

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by musichead, Mar 3, 2005.

1. musichead

musichead

Aug 7, 2004
    I have been playing bass guitar for about thirty years or so and over the years I have found that it's become annoyingly painful to hang a heavy bass on my shoulder anymore. I have therefore been reluctantly looking into trying to find what I would call a "bass guitar holder", for lack of a better term. What I'm talking about is not a simple guitar stand that you set your guitar on while you're on break on stage, but a device that holds your guitar in a playing position so that you can walk right up to it and play it without the use of a strap. I'm afraid I don't know what these devices are called, but I know that someone on this forum knows what I'm looking for and can maybe help me find out where I can buy one.
    If anyone has any info about this particular piece of equipment I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Musichead.

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have seen them at the bass place in Phoenix. I don't know what they're called and they don't list them on their website but you could call them and they may be able to help you out. 480-423-1161

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I know they make them for acoustic guitars, but I've never seen one for bass. Maybe someone else has.

When I had back problems I bought a couple of lightweight basses and that helped a lot. I got a Fender Zone (7 1/2 lbs.) and a Epiphone Allen Woody (6 1/2 lbs.).

4. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hey There Musichead,
    I had back surgery two years ago. When I went back to full time gigging I used a stand by a company named Gracie. I purchased mine through Musiciansfriend. I don't know if Musiciansfriend still carries them, try a search on the web for Gracie Stands.
    Be careful though. While this stand is a Godsend for those of us with back problems, my experience has been : the carriage that holds the instrument tends to loosen causing the bass to tip. Good luck.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I finally gave it up and a) got a lightweight mahogany Carvin and b) starting sitting down to play.

6. When I saw Pat Metheny 2 weeks ago he had a half-dozen of them for his guitars, so they DO exist

7. check out an electric upright. Mine was $700 new and is mounted on a cymbal stand.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    +1

I have an Ergo like yours, and for a while the only time I wasn't in pain during a gig was while playing it. Of course it isn't right for some styles of music.

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Keller Williams uses one for his Midi Guitar and his Fender Bass when he plays on stage cause he's a one man show with loops and stuff. Im sure you can find them around.

[edit] yeah, the new grace stand posted above is what Keller uses [/edit]

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, my Carvin is going to be mahog. How much lighter is it compared to Fender basses?

11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I really like the idea of being able to walk up and play, especially since I switch between EUB and BG alot. But I just can't bring myself to have one more thing to haul around to gigs.

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

+1

13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I don't remember where I heard about the Bass Brace, but I think it was here on TB not too long ago. I've never seen it and I know no one who has used one, but I thought it looked pretty cool. I came across it when I was looking for a new bass to replace my outrageously heavy MIM Jazz Deluxe.

I know it's not exactly what you were asking about, but maybe it's another avenue to explore.

The Bass Brace

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    WOW! NO WAY am I drillin' holes in my bass!! Thank GOODNESS I don't have a serious problem like the inventor did.

My vote: Find an ultra light bass yer happy with. Zons are awesome, and super light, as well, not to mention super comfy with a 34" scale, tho the lo B on the 5's sounds like it's about a 39" scale. :)