bass guitar in amplifier for guitar..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danieledanny, Oct 14, 2016.

1. danieledanny

danieledanny

Nov 29, 2015
    someone plays bass guitar in a guitar amp? I ask this question because the other day I put my bass in a 20 watt marshall of a friend, he had better sound, ringing of my marshall MB30 bass! obvious to volume content, about half power .... my friend who has a lot 'of experience told me that he always played on guitar amps, once there was no difference and that is all illusion what we make believe! what do you think?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Dan, it’s difficult to understand exactly what you are asking. It is quite safe to play a bass through the amplifier section of a guitar amp. It’s the speaker cabinet section where the problems start. Often guitar combos are open backed and the signal from a bass can overtax them.

We have come a long way with bass amplifiers since their inception. At one time you did buy an amplifier that both bass and guitar players used. For bass you would buy more cabinets for it than the guitar player is all.

brbadg, danieledanny and tfer like this.
  3. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Plenty of guit amps can sound great with bass. As bassmanpaul said, the speaker and the cabinet around it is where the problem comes in at anything above bedroom quiet levels. A few bass cabs can sound nice with guitar too. That might get you the best of both worlds (guitar amp head, bass cab the does credible double duty) but you prolly need to experiment with a lot of combinations before landing on the right one for you. In this scenario, stay away from cabs with hf drivers.

4. brbadg

brbadg

Nov 10, 2006
    Timonium,Maryland
    Just don't use a guitar cabinet for bass if you are playing with a drummer or a couple people in the
    group.You will shred them,trust me.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I do it all the time, but I have the right cabinet for it:

XeS2rvT-4WPBsWTcD57GTlOLFWRjrxlhH6peWIYn_tHlAn_CbgVPEKsSbPXWAsUAzMLedHwHcg=w908-h1012-no.png

danieledanny likes this.
  6. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Stonerhenge

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. danieledanny

danieledanny

Nov 29, 2015
    i play alone

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Nice ric, KBD. Hadn't noticed it before.

9. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I've played bass through my friend's twin reverb. It has a 15" speaker and it sounded great.

10. I did some recordings back in the 80s through a Peavey Nashville 400. It was a steel guitar amp, open back with a single 15. I thought it sounded fantastic for what I was doing (multitrack, bass-only songs). I would never play through a guitar amp at a rehearsal or live gig.

11. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Doesn't mean you can't shred a guitar speaker playing bass through it. It can happen even at moderate volume depending on which frequencies are pushing the speaker past its mechanical limits. My first "bass" amp was a little Peavey open-backed guit combo I had bought when I first started playing guitar. I was 13 and had no idea there was a difference between guitar and bass amps. I blew that sucker in a few months just jamming by myself in my bedroom. Wasn't even *that* loud. At low volume, a guit combo can sound awesome, but you have to be very mindful of its limits. The eq is also not optimized for the instrument so in all likeliehood, you will know the amp sounds good for what you're doing from the get-go or not.

12. danieledanny

danieledanny

Nov 29, 2015
    I bought a peavy vypyr 2,40 watt,it's good for guitar bass and guitar too,beh it's a very poopie!
    I can play with the electric guitar option because I feel out!
    Obviously the sound sucks, metal,with acoustic bass impossible to play outdoor,
    I threw the money! i wonder,why then i had the roland micro cube 5 watt
    it felt perfect and i take somethingh more power and doesn't work!? maybe i must take a 100 watt amplifier?

13. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I had our lead guitar use my Ampeg B15 bass amp and he blew the speaker....

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021