1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass guitar Insurance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, May 7, 2002.

  1. InfinityJaco


    Jun 5, 2001
    I'm looking for some sort of guitar insurance on my $4,000 Warwick Infinity LTD 2000 bass and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good insurance places that have a really good reputation?? and any info on it?
  2. ldiezman


    Jul 11, 2001
    I may be wrong, but i am pretty sure your bass would be covered under home owners insurance... My bass is..
  3. Brad Johnson

    Brad Johnson Supporting Member

    Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    In a lot of cases, not if you play out.
  4. SoComSurfing

    SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

    Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    All of my instruments are covered under homeowner's.
  5. Brad Johnson

    Brad Johnson Supporting Member

    Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Does your policy allow performing for money? I was surprised to find that that nullifies coverage in a lot of cases.
  6. craigers2


    Sep 26, 2001
    i just have "renter's insurance" right now. i asked my agent about my basses and he told me that they were covered - but only up to $3000. i ended up having to pay only a few dollars a month to totally insure the total value of my bass collection.

    point is that every company has different rules and amounts that they will cover for musical instruments.

    also, if anyone is renting a house or apartment (like me) get renter's insurance!
  7. Si-bob


    Jun 30, 2001
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    hey, i'm after the same kinda thing...i'm off to uni in october, and will be staying in halls Of Residence, and i wanna take my £600 5er. I asked my drummer who's got his kit insured with proper musical instrument insurance for £2000 (all cymbals :)) and he reckons he only pays £15 a year.
    gotta do some more research

  8. I would make absolutely sure that your basses are covered under homeowners insurance, because usually electric instruments and electronics are not covered. You probably need an additional scheduled property policy to cover your instruments and other musical gear.
  9. JohnL


    Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Careful guys! I've pasted from my reply to an earlier thread last year:

    I don't know much about the policies purchased through musician's unions or those type sources. However, I am an Allstate Insurance agent, and can tell you some things to be aware of when insuring your basses on a homeowners/renters policy. You should verify your own company's policy stipulations:

    First, most auto policies I know of do not cover any contents, other than what was originally designed to go into the car (ie: the car stereo, but not your CD collection,power amp you installed under your seat, your bass, etc). If someone breaks into your car and steals your bass, its a homeowner/renters policy claim.

    Second, our homeowner/renter's policies have additional coverages you can purchase, one for "professional" music equipment, and one for "non-professional" equipment. (Playing for pay = professional) Again, check with your own agent for additional coverages they may offer.

    Thirdly, all claims are subject to whatever deductible you choose for your property policy, so don't claim a MIM Jazz Bass if you have a $500 deductible, as you won't get anything.

    If you have ANYTHING remotely resembling "vintage" or "custom", by all means, have it appraised! It will make for a much fairer settlement when dealing with an adjuster who, you will do well to remember, doesn't know a bass you play from a bass you catch. Their job is to try to settle each claim quickly, but to spend as little of the company's money as possible. Have something to back you up.
  10. malthumb


    Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I USED TO have my basses covered by a separate rider on my homeowner's policy until:

    1) They dropped the maximum replacement value for the total policy from $20,000 to $5,000

    2) They clarified their clause regarding not covering if I play for pay to include "opportunities where compensation is offered but declined"

    The company I'm with now insures my instruments, amps, cabinets, even my cases, whether I'm at home, travelling or playing. They are covered at replacement value. The cost is $200 / yr or $0.55 per $100 of value, whichever is greater.

    The company is Merz-Huber in Swarthmore, PA.


  11. SCT1422

    SCT1422 Supporting Member

    As stated in the previous replys, check with your agent.. Tell them if you play professionally or as a hobby, where you play and what you have... I have a rider on my homeowners policy that covers everything.. It's not really that expensive to get either... Good luck... Steven..

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.