Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass/Guitar into computer. Some help form our technically gifted please?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slick519, Jun 13, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hey, today, me and my buddy went down to Radio Shack and bought a 1/4 inch mono plug into 1/8 inch mono jack audio adapter with the hopes that we could plug our guitars (one at a time) into the microphone jack in my buddies computer. I have seen this done before, so i know that its possible.

Anyways, when I brought the adapter back to my friends house, we couldnt fit the 1/8 jack into the microphone jack in his computer. now my question is: shlould we go back to RS and get a different adapter, and if so, what kind.-or-Did we not find the right microphone port on the computer?

Thank you very much,
    =w=Slicks=w=

2. Cort45

Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    when i tried plugging my bass directly into the comp it sounded like crap. mb its just my sound card or somthing

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How do I keep showing up in people's signatures? And it's never in a favorable light!

:(

4. here's your problem: you need a mono plug. you probably got a stereo one. the mic input jack is mono, the line in/out jacks are stereo.

5. by the way: you can tell if a male plug is stereo because it will have 2 rings on the shaft. a mono plug will only have 1.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well apparently I am mono.

{sorry, that was dirty}

anyways, yeah my computer has never been too happy when i use stereo plugs, and since i don't have the right plug i've had to plug 4 adapters together to make a mono plug. my soundcard still doesn't like it too much, and i've found that a preamp (anything from an effect pedal with a level control to an actual preamp) helps things enormously.

7. I think Line 6 makes a guitar/bass port for your computer that converts it to a usb port.

8. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or

ok, here are the answers,

1. my guitar players computer is a pc running XP with dual pentium II's at 450mhz each ( i know, kinda weird, but works great) My computer on the other hand is a mac, and mine works great! i ahve a blue dalmation imac.

2. The soundcard is state of teh art type and jsut bought it a couple of months ago brand new

3. His computer was once a server computer at his dad's dental office, and is custom built by a computer guru. The computer is very nice, and has all of the latest stuff you can put in a computer

4. He is running his guitar through his fender princeton chorus -or- digitech RP300
    I am running my bass through a fender sidekick bass amp (30w)

and to add, we both have mono plugs, not stereo.

also, his microphone port is kind of weird, its really small, but he does have a little section in the back of his computer with a firewire port, and some other 1/8" ports, but i have no idea what they do, but it does say "digital" above each port. I am thinking that this is a port for a digital video camera, but im not sure.

Thanks,
    =w=Slicks=w=

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, state of the art would be something way beyond the level of Creative Labs/Soundblaster. Something made for pro audio with RCA and/or digital inputs and outputs. 1/8" stereo jacks are far from state of the art.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No offense, but Dual PII @ 450mhz is not anywhere near 'all of the latest stuff you can put in a computer'.

11. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    ok ok, but other than the chip(s) its a great computer, and has a lot of great stuff (40x20x40 cdrw, dvd-r rom, 80 gig hd, etc.)

well, when somebody said that a really advanced soundcard doesnt have 1/8 ports, his sound card has ports even smaller than that, they are tiny, and the port w/ the little picture of a microphone is pretty damn tiny.

thanks,
    =w=Slicks=w=

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I went through this a couple of months ago when I installed Protools Free on my PC. I ended up buying a Soundblaster Live sound card. I noticed that I got better results if I plugged the bass into the card's "line in" or instrument input.

I bought my jacks and adapters at Radioshack too.