Bass Guitar mag

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Just out of curiousity...I've noticed most everyone here reads Bass Player. What do you all think of Bass Guitar magazine? I like a lot of the content (Tommy Shannon, John Paul Jones), etc. and they are fairly "across the board" with the type of bassists the feature (blues/rock/funk/metal).
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Guitar World's Bass Guitar Magazine only interests me if
    they have a transcription I'd like to add to my library.
    Same with Guitar World.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I picked up an issue a while back and didn't really dig it all that much. It seemed to be geared to a younger audience. Haven't read it lately.

BTW, there are a lot more genres that are "across the board" than blues, rock, funk and metal.

brad cook
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The GW Bass Guitar? Garbage, IMO.

The Bass Guitar that's published in the UK (and that's been running longer than the GW Bass Guitar) is far better than the GW bass guitar. I also buy the UK BG mag in preference to BP, but I do very, VERY much enjoy BP.
  5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've picked up a few. About the only plus it's got going for it IMO is that it's more rock orientated. It has tab in it. Tab is the enemy. Tab creates bass players with no ear.
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
  7. I completely agree that the UK Bass Guitar magazine is outstanding. The Guitar World Bass Guitar is really a waste of time and not very educational at all...mostly metal and emo. Bass Player is a fantastic longstanding resource, but the lessons/gear reviews/articles in the UK Bass Guitar magazine are well worth paying a couple bucks more for. Definitely check one out when you can.
  8. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I read and have subscribed to Bass Player since they started. I was stoked when I saw that first issue on the newsstand with Geddy on the cover back in the day. Bought 2 copies immediately. Great resource.

GW Bass Player is only ok. I buy it from time to time when there is something that interests me in it. Not a mandatory purchase by any means. Maybe it'll get better with time.

The British Bass Guitar magazine is really quite good. I buy that on occasion too. It costs a bit more here but I'll do it.
  9. Tab is great.
  10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    And why they didn't call it "Bass World" (I mean, C"MON! Wasn't it obvious?:eyebrow: ) to avoid confusion with the (far superior) UK mag is beyond me.
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I remember picking up the first-ever issue of Bass Guitar, and I liked it, until they actually had a segment on Linkin Park's bassist. Of all bass players, why would they do an article on him? He's terrible. And the tab section takes up about half of the magazine.

12. the US BGM is usually riddles with mistakes- I've got one in which they said Pete Way was a finger player:confused:

UK's BGM is great- sometimes the cover stories underwhelm me- eg. Hoppus & Dirnt on this month's , but there's always articles inside that more than make up for it- eg. Trevor Bolder and Bill Dickens interviews.