Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASS GUITAR MAGAZINE appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by plankspanker13, Aug 5, 2002.

1. This British mag is like a quarterly Euro-flavored Bass Player and merits checking out. And now a note from the editor:

Thanks for the mail and pic-glad you like the magazine. We're being very British here hanging onto our Pounds Sterling-but soon the euro will have it!! I'll look out for you at talkbass-tell everyone about us won't you?!
    Regards
    Adrian Ashton
    Editor
    Bass Guitar Magazine

Special commemmorative 100th post

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I'd really like to buy the magazine - but how on earth do you get a copy??!! :mad:

I have looked in every newsagent in Brighton where I live and every large one that I pass in London - where I work occasionally, but have never seen a copy. Well I did see one copy of the first issue in the Bass Centre in Wapping, but it was the last one they had, so they didn't want to sell it!!

I looked on the website and emailed the contact addresses, asking how I could get a copy, but after several months have had no reply!

I think they just don't want anybody to buy a copy! :rolleyes:

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Since you asked-
    The Barnes & Noble in Va. Beach(near Pembroke Mall) is stocking the magazine.

I flipped through it...it does remind me of Bass (RIP?)Frontiers

4. Bruce Lindfield

How ridiculous is that! You can buy the magazine in the US but not in the country where it is produced and about which it is written! :rolleyes:

And how come they don't answer my emails - we should start boycotting them until they get their act together - wait that would mean I never get a copy. ;) I'll just stick to slagging them off in TB!

5. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Bruce

I've seen the mag in a branch of W H Smiths. Flicked through it but not tempted to buy. Frankly I suspect you're not missing anything.

(To clarify I still have a huge collection of the original BG magazines. I took up bass around the same time as the mag started and it was hugely helpful to a beginner. The selection of transcriptions was especially great, much more varied and plentiful than BP (though not always as accurate): I used to black over the tabs with a felt pen and use the transcriptions to work on my reading skills.

But gradually I outgrew it: too much quirky stuff, too much elementary stuff (Oasis tabs anyone), too much stuff for gear obsessives. Eventually the time came when the temptation to buy was smaller than the temptation to hold on to the cover charge.

The new mag looks a pale imitation of the old with less of the strengths and more of the weaknesses, especially gear-obsessiveness.

I'm not knocking the editorial team. They have to consider the bottom line and I suspect a UK mag that appealed more to experienced players and less to beginners and wannabees just wouldn't be financially viable.

6. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not sure what you mean by this - I have all the "Bassist and Bass Techniques" magazines but I have never heard of a mag called "Bass Guitar" before and have been playing bass for over 25 years. :confused:

Before "Bassist" I used to collect "International Musican and Recording World" which had occasional articles about bass players like I remember an interview with Mick Karn.

7. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Sorry Bruce I was getting confused between titles. (Confusion arose because I have a poor memory and tend to rely on little logical tricks to remember things. "Bassist" was sister magazine to "Guitarist"- you get the drift).

So I meant Bassist. I saw the BG mag in a shop and thought it was an attempt to restart Bassist. Probably wrongly as I now realise.

My main point - that I doubt you'd be much interested in mag if you'd seen it - still holds.

8. i could have got it in Tulsa from B&N but i didn't want to pay the 7.99 asking price !!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Well I think it was always useful to have a UK magazine so you could get a realistic idea of the going prices for bass-related gear. I know I say that the gear-focus of TB is way over the top - but the thing for me is that it's not a subject you want to discuss endlessly but you don't want to be ripped off. So when I needed to buy stuff I would look through all the recent issues and it would give you a good idea of what was available and at what prices.

Actually Steve Lawson said around here that Bassist's demise was due to the fact that they couldn't get enough advertising - so they "amalgamated" with Guitarist - I bought a few issues and got very fed up with it.

I wonder how Bass Guitar are making themselves financially viable - it's a mystery to me! ;)

10. here's an intriguing PM I received a few days ago;

I've been watching with interest the debate on Bass Magazines running in Talk Bass, probabaly with a bit more interest than most because I'm the editor of Bass Guitar Magazine in the UK . I'm slightly concerened that there is a thread running where users are saying they can't find the mag or we don't respond to mails etc Not so!! I reply personally to every mail sent to me and the magazine isn't only still about we're just publishing our third issue (it's quarterly). Can I add you to our mailing list so you get each and every issue? I notice that you kindly mentioned our website but I see even recently that some people said they could'nt get the mag and we were trying to make it difficult to sell it! If anyone has a problem finding the mag we will sort it! We care passionately about bass and we are not about to do a Bass Frontiers! Please let the world know we are still out there! And feel free to drop me a mail on editor @bassguitarmagazine.com anytime.
    Many Thanks
    Adrian Ashton
    Bass Guitar Magazine

:confused:

care to comment, Bruce?

11. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Well, the huge difference is that Bassist was owned by Future Publishing, and as a result was not particularly intellegent with its spending, or economical to run - big publishing houses aren't all that efficient really...

What Bass Guitar Mag has in its favour is that it's run by enthusiasts, who own it and decide how the money gets spent (so their overheads are going to be much lower), who will hopefully have learnt from Bassist's mistakes and budget for less advertising revenue.

Publishers like Future are there purely to make money. they don't give a s**t about the readers at all, other than relieving them of the contents of their wallets. Bass Guitar Magazine seems to be run by bassists. I've met Adrian Ashton, he's a very nice bloke, who genuinely wants to make the mag work for bassists, whilst obviously making a living for himself in the process.

The mag's not perfect, by any means - what mag is after two issues? Bassist was a dreadful mag right up until it switched to Future (the same month that I started writing for them - a coincidence? I think not! :oops:) - Bass Guitar mag is a great looking mag, with some cool features and a bright future if we support it. I've got a subscription (very wise of them to start quarterly - I doubt I would have coughed up for 12 issues straight off...)

I'm glad they're there...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

12. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    PS, I agree, the combined Guitarist/Bassist had bugger all worth reading for Bassists...

:(

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk <--- stuff worth reading for bassists!

13. So here's the subscription info from the back page.

Subscribe
    UK £10 Europe £18

Please fill out the coupon and return it with your payment to; Bass Guitar Magazine, PO Box 72, Shaldon, Devon TQ14 OWA. UK.

Tel: +44 (0) 1626 871050
    email: allaboutbass@ukgateway.net

Please choose method of payment:
    Cheque payments (Sterling Only Drawn on a UK bank)
    I enclose a cheque for payable to Bass Guitar Magazine

Credit Card Payments
    Please charge my Credit or Debit Card (Diners club or Amex not accepted)

Card No. ____________________________________ Exp Date: _______

Switch and Delta only: Start Date: _______ Issue No: _______

Signature: ___________________________________ Date: ___________

Your Details

Title: ____ Initials: ______ Surname: __________________________

Address: __________________________________________________

Postcode: _____________ Country: _______________________________

Tel: ____________________ Email: _______________________________

United States Subscriptions: 4 issues @ $25.25 US
    Canadian Subscriptions: 4 Issues @ 32.50 Cdn
    US & Canada: Telephone Order Toll Free 1-877-
    474-3321 (8am-8pm standard time Mon-Fri) Fax 1-905-
    619-2903. Order on line www.magamall.com

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well - here are the facts :

1) I still haven't found a copy in any shop in Brighton!

2) I was in London this morning and tried two branches of Borders, all the shops in Denmark Street, W.H. Smiths in Oxford St/Tottenham Court Road - and in Victoria Station - no luck!

I gave up and bought a copy of "Double Bassist" magazine instead which had a great interview with Alec Dankworth, some useful stuff about Jazz walking basslines and interesting music.

3)When this came up before, somebody posted the website address. I sent the following email , based on what it said at the site :

To: michaela@bassguitarmagazine.com
    cc:
    Hard Copy To:
    Hard Copy cc:

Date: 16/07/2002 09:57

Subject: Where to buy your magazine

Hello there -

I was made aware of your magazine and website from people at TalkBass.com and would very much like to buy a copy - but I have never seen it in the newsagents where I live. Do you know of any shops in or near Brighton that are or will be stocking it?

Thank You

Regards,

Bruce Lindfield

I have not received a reply to date!

15. Bruce Lindfield

PS - I'm not going to subscribe to something I haven't even seen - especially when there are lots of other magazines, I can buy off the shelf every month, very easily.

If a brief scan indicates it has enough interesting articles then I will be happy to buy it on an issue-by-issue basis, but no way would I subscribe to any magazine "blind"!

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I had been a sibscriber to Bassist. When it merged, I kept my subscription going - until I'd read a few issues. I the let my subsciption expire!!!:(

17. The only reason I posted the subscription information was in case anyone wanted to subscribe. Whether you do or not is entirely up to you.

I do kinda think it's very odd that it's far more available here in the US than in the UK. It might be that it's far more relevant over there and so people are buying it rather than just letting them languish on the shelf as they seem to be here.

18. I really liked the magazine myself. Far better than Bass Player has ever been. But it's still no Bass Frontiers.

19. I follow this deal closely...

In Spain there are NO BASS magazines...

Guitarist is sold as Guitarrista and its bass coverage IS NEARLY ABSENT. IT'S 95% GUITAR.

I might consider gathering forces down here to start some sort of bass publication, but I'd love to help on a Spanish version of BGM or whatever...

20. Well, I seem to have created a monster here...not that this is a bad thing. In BGM's defense, I will say that they are only 2 issues old, so there are bound to be some growing pains. It does appear that the editor has an awareness of the contents of this thread and will, in al likelihood, make things better, if not just plain right. All good things take time, whether it is building a song part by part or putting out a publication for us bottom-enders. It's nice to see the reactions from cyberspace.

OK Adrian, I still like Aria basses...they taste like chicken!