Bass guitar nightmare

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hstiles, Jul 18, 2001.

1. I thought I'd share the following horrible experience with you...

I bought a Vigier Passion fretless about 3 months ago. The bass had been in the shop for almost 2 years and was being sold at a fraction of its original price (£1000 instead of around £2000).

Anyway, the bass was wonderful. I say was because I picked it up earlier today to find that the finish on the lower half of the body had cracked and fallen away and that the body was split almost completely through. The bottom half of the body is basically being kept in place by 2 pots!

The wood is literally falling away from the bass!

I'm taking the bass straight back to the dealer tomorrow. It was pretty clearly flawed from the start!

Has anyone else experienced this problem with

a)A Vigier bass
    b)Any bass with an alder body

I'm assuming I'm well within my rights to demand an exchange? This bass has been pretty much worshipped by me for the last 3 months. It has only attended 2 rehearsals and 1 gig.
  2. I'm hoping I won't have too. I'm in the UK and Vigier are in France. Plus, the website states that I'll be liable for packaging.

Finally, I'm not sure how profilic Vigier are nowadays. Their website doesn't appear to have been updated for quite a while.
  3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow!!! I've never heard of that happening... but I would surely demand a refund! Hell, the bass pretty much broke in half! What else do they expect you to do :confused:

4. I had 2 of my band mates over when I discovered what had happened (I've been redecorating my house all week and haven't had a lot of spare time to practice)

The three of us where kind literally nearly in tears. It's the stuff musicians' nightmares are made of!
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... oh yeah, I do remember that my wife backed the Pugeot over it one night when I left it in the driveway, but it was in the gig bag ...

All kidding in the forefront, isn't France a mere 20 miles from England via the chunnel? Hell, all of England is only 80 miles long. I drive that far just to visit the GC up in Orange County.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I haven't had it happen but I heard of it happening. Cause - somebody didn't want to wait for the wood to dry properly.
  7. If i was in your position I would definatly be getting in touch with the makers for the simple reason of making a point that they know about the problem and if the store from which you bought it from does not refund you surely in the UK they have some sort of consumer rights tribunal, you should take it to them but only do this as a last resort as it can be time consuming.
  8. Which one do you go to. I frequently go to the one in Brea, as it is 10 minutes from my house, and what part of socal are you in that makes you drive 80 miles to get to a GC?
  9. That bit of water in the way can be a real pisser! I'll see what the dealer has to say first. They're nice people and I've been a good customer over the years.

Thank you all for your comments. I don't feel quite as bad now :)
  10. MooMooMan

Jun 14, 2001
    England 80 miles long? Where the hell have you been since maps were invented? bloody americans....
  11. (I've been redecorating my house all week and haven't had a lot of spare time to practice)

Hey hstiles:
    You must not be married if you are redecorating your house and have spare time.
    if there is a vaccum, air will rush in to fill it.....
    if a man has spare time, wife will rush in to fill it...
    ha ha.
    bummer about the bass.
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Man that sucks about your bass. I am crying for you. I know if that ever happened to my bass, I would die. I can't imagine that happening. I would take it back and if the guy said no, beat him with your broken beast. hehe just kidding.
  13. I took it back to the store.

They've taken it off me and their repair guy is going to patch the body up using epoxy. They're then going to get it re-sprayed.

The manager wasn't around today, so I'm going to speak with him tomorrow with regards to who will be footing the bill for this work.
  14. Tomo

May 29, 2001
    damn right to, they should pay the bill .

although technically from what i know of british trading laws (you learn something from economics dont ya know :) ) if you pay for something thats less than what they normally charge, i.e in your case 1000 instead of 2000 for being around a long time and it isnt their usual retail price then there is no law stating that you have to be elgible for a refund as it is considered a "sale purchase", as a result no 6 month warranty's etc apply by law unless the shop has their own. However the shop must still provide a service to whatever is sold for 6months (i think) and if they can repair it, they must repair it.

so you should be ok and demandforthem to pay :)
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Lemme get this straight: you lusted after the thing for 2 years, then bought it and it fell apart 3 months later?!? Do small children run away crying when you walk by? Do large animals bare their teeth when they see you? Are you responsible for any unsolved murders in your village? Jeezus. I've heard of bad luck but... Hope the dealer is sympathetic, otherwise, it looks like you took the proverbial high, hard one. Good luck, I'd say you could use a little.
  16. Even if it's for sale at a lower price, unless the bass is marked as second hand or Sold as Seen or as having a verified defect, you have every right to assume that it's being sold as new. My problem is that the repair guy at the store is adamant that the only way the bass could end up in that state is by being dropped. Thing is, I didn't drop it, so the likelihood is that the bass was either mistreated at the store or during shipping to the store.

I took some photos of the damage. I'll get them developed and post them here. It'll give some of you nightmares!
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    tallguy ~

I have two GC's in my neighborhood (La Mesa and San Marcos), but two isn't enough. My long drives take me to El Toro, Fountain Valley, Riverside, San Bernardino, Hollywood and Burbank ... or was it Van Nuys? I tried to make it to Sacramento this week, but I blew it. I was within one block, but didn't know it. I've also been to Atlanta's GC and Nashville's Mars. Also Las Vegas. But I've been to more Hard Rock Cafes than GC's.