1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Guitar Opinion. HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bordinco90, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Hello, I was looking for opinions about the squier classic vibe precision and jazz bass. I am really stumped about what to get. I play mostly classic rock and I know the precision is great for that purpose. Can somebody please tell me how good the squier classic vibe 60s precision bass is and how does it compare to the classic vibe 60s jazz. Also how is the quality of the bass? Thanks everyone!

2. johnbee

johnbee Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Ghostdog, that GIF animation is hilarious! Clear and informative, yet hilarious. :D

Welcome to the forums, bordinco. I remember getting admonished about search when i joined. It is a rite of passage for newbies.

Oh, and I hear the Classic Vibe is pretty nice for the price.

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    You won't get a better bass for anywhere near the money than a Squier Classic Vibe. You really have to play them to see what feels better in your hand, though. I thought I would prefer the tonal variety of a jazz, but after owning a couple of them, I bought a precision, and have been ever so much happier. That's as close as I can come to telling you which to get.

4. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah thanks guys. Yeah that info is pretty funny. I'm just trying to get some info before I drive 2 hours to my nearest guitar center. I really want the p bass. It has just always appealed to me. What kind of strings is best for the p? I always heard it was flats?

5. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Aug 8, 2010
    Portugal
    Search a bit more, it wont hurt and you'll learn more about them.

But please listen to this carefully: try them before you buy. Seriously, 4 days ago I thought I was going to buy the classic vibe precision, I was minutes way from ordering it but I took the advice from the fellas here in Tallkbass and tried the basses on the wall. Guess what I didn't bring the precision I brought the Jazz (VM not CV). If you are between novice and intermediate then maybe the Jazz can offer more tone viability.

Anyway, for rock I'd recommend round, not flats. But hey, again, do the search, there is a guide thread just about strings ;) It's a lot about preference.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I own the CV Jazz and it's easily the best value for a Fender style Jazz Bass you'll find. I prefer a Jazz Bass of it's tonal flexibility but PBasses are a Rock and R&B standard.

If you don't care for the Fiesta Red color of the CV PBass look at the Matt Freeman model. Same as the PBass but with a maple neck and either a black or vintage white body.

You won't regret buying either of them. I intend to pick up the PBass after the first of the year and I'll have both.

Strings; I'd suggest round or somewhat of a hybrid on the Jazz and flats on the PBass. I use GHS Pressure Wounds on my Jazz Bass and I'll use GHS Precision Flats on the PBass when I buy it.

Search the other threads and you'll pick up even more from other owners.

7. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I really like the fiesta red color. I kinda gives it a retro look. The matt freeman model is really nice too. I don't know lol im in a pickle!!!!

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I always thought the CV series looked pretty cool but never pulled the trigger. I did own the Vintage Modified Precision for a time and really liked it a lot. You may want to check it out too while you're there.

9. johnbee

johnbee Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    There is a huge amount of posts on flatwounds vs roundwounds. But here goes anyway... I have played about 8 years. All rounds. Mostly jazz bass. I thought flats sucked. I even used rounds on a fretless, cuz I liked them so much better.

I thought flats were dead sounding. Then I heard that more P-bass users have flats rather than rounds; and that most of those old songs from the 70s use flats.

Well I put some flats on a P-bass. It still sounds a little, uh, flat when I practice in my living room. But in a band setting, it is awesome! I don't know how else to describe it, except to say the bass sound 'stays in its own area of the mix', rather than 'filling a bunch of space'. I'm sure there is some technical term for that. Also, I tried recording with flats. Awesome!

So now I have an active jazz with rounds, and a passive precision with flats. Two different sounds, both awesome. (And I still have rounds on my fretless, for that mmwwaaaaah sound -- but that's another topic.)

And you can't go wrong with a P-bass, if that is what you want. It is nice that it is passive (so you can leave it plugged in to the amp when your'e not playing and not worry about killing your battery). And to have just the one volume and one tone. So simple! And like flats-vs-rounds, a P-bass sounds more boring by itself than a jazz (IMO), but mixes well in a band setting and for recording.

And +10000 for the try-before-you buy! Just play a few things. You will know what you want when you try it. If you try that fiesta red p-bass and like it, then get it.

10. BEST

GRAPHIC

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Cool thanks everybody. Yeah I heard the vintage modified p basses are good to. The neck is what everyone loves, that satin feel, but many people have said the CV P and J basses are of better quality than their MIM counterparts. Thats whats drawing me into them so much. I mean to have a $300-$350 bass sound better than a $500-$600 bass just seems like a great value. I can't wait to go to guitar center and try these babys out.

I have been watching youtube vids on the CV Jazz and yes it does sound better than the P bass by itself, but the sound is just too thin to me and if you are playing classic rock (Bob Segar, ACDC, Tom Petty, ect.....) I would think you would want that more bassy sound than that very thin but very cool sounding jazz.

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    The CV P seems like the bass for you based on the music you're playing. I've been playing Precisions for more than 30 years, and mine is one of the best Ps I've ever owned.
    For strings I'd try a set of GHS Boomers roundwounds.

13. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    @Lowbrow. What kind of bass do you own. Have you played the CV P bass?

14. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I also have another question about the CV P bass. How is the action fit and finish of the bass? Thanks everyone.

15. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    The fit and finish on mine was as good as I've seen on any MIM Fender, and better than some MIAs. The action was pretty darn good, but it needed a setup to be where I like it. It was eminently playable to begin with, but I have my own preferences. The only weakness of the bass to me is the pots. They are not top quality. The pups are sealed and not of MIA standards, but they are voiced really well.

16. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Well that is to be expected, but its not that bad. I'm just ready to get the bass now!!!!!

17. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I own a CV Precision, a Road Worn Precision, an American Standard Precision, a G&L L1000, and two Danelectro Rumors (cheap Precision clones).

If the CV was a little lighter it would be my #1 player out of all of them. As it is, it is my #1 recording bass. Take that as a big thumbs-up from me.

18. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd get the P and put some flats on for a sound that feels like swimming in warm caramel. Mmmmm

19. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I'm with Lowbrow. I've had a CV P, MIM Standard P, '50s Classic P, MIA Standard P, a half dozen Jazzes, and a Highway One P. I kept the Highway One, but kick myself fairly often for selling the CV Squier. I recorded with the Squier, and gigged with it all the time, and got nothing but compliments on the tone. It's the second best playing bass I've ever owned, and in the top two best sounding. Absolutely wonderful instrument. Put in some CTS pots, throw on a set of LaBella FL flats, give it a good setup, and you're golden.