1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Guitar Secrets

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ccyork, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
  2. seequeue

seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    that advertising template always screams "SCAM!"

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Looks fishy to me. I'm sure there's some good information there, but I'd bet the price of the program that you could get the same thing from a number of other sources (for instance, the Pacman's scale program-free, Mike Dimin's Core Method-worth every penny, Bunny Brunel's on line tutorials-looks good) with just a tad more work.

Basically it all boils down to knowing the fretboard and developing you ear. Time and effort will pay off. If there's a shortcut, you can bet something is left out.

Of course, if there was coupon in the back for some kind of physical 'inhancement' then the cost might be worth it.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup - although he got this bit right :

"completely destroys the need for copying off of other bass players, resorting to petty "tab-dependancy" ...." :p

5. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    here's a secret that works.

practice. lots.

that'll be 50 bucks :p

6. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Why dont you buy it and tell us if it's a scam.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
  8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    It's not really a secret if you're willing to share it with everyone. I have a bass guitar secret that I'm not sharing with anyone.

9. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
  10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I think all of us at TB have it but no one can discuss it because, after all, it is a secret! :D :D

11. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    I have the secret to great bass playing, but if I tell you, I'll have to kill you. Tough to get new students that way...

12. lol

garbage

go to Guitar Center and pick up a Christian McBride dvd for 20 bucks

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    My secret is better than yours. (I think)

(I hope......)

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ha! My secret is soooooo good, even *I* am not allowed to know it! :hyper:

15. MikeRS

MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA
    I would not be surprised if it came in a book, at a high price and it only said that one magic word.

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I have an idea...an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

17. jmal

jmal

Apr 5, 2006
    I think you guys are wrong on this one. I used this system and I immediately started swinging like Ray and Jamerson is easy as can be!

18. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Just get a bass instructor.

19. I started bass with instructor, and this instructional book currently under comprehensively ignorant derision. Comparing general off-the-shelf bass instruction books against BGS seems like comparing Dr. Seuss to.......something competent at least.

BGS exercises have challenged me in every way. The BGS package of software plus two PDF manuals has been more than waht I needed from a general program. The only thing I don't like about BGS is the author likes to use acronyms (abbreviations) but not explain them in context. Example - he uses "NOS", but never explains it. Somehow, readership is supposed to know he means "nitrous oxide" (not kidding). He cited NOS to a car engine as an analogy to something.

I've raked the author over the coals for this, but still stand by the general value and insight of the BGS program. It answered more questions than I thought to ask. I'm not sure what's being slammed in this thread, BGS specifically or bass guitar instruction books in general. Either way, the critics are a joke on this one. Two cents.

20. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Aw man,you told him the secret!!!!