1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass guitar sounds double bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by geodiak, Oct 3, 2009.

1. geodiak

geodiak

Mar 28, 2008
    Greece
    How I can make my bass guitar sounds like double bass.

I know that it's not the same, but I want a deep bass tone for my bass guitar

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Playing close to the neck... over the neck actually.
    Roll off treble, boost a little mids, a little bass boost.
    Flatwound strings.

Reverb unit can also help you a bit out. Maybe two reverbs blended togheter then blended with your clean signal.
    Or a dark clean analog delay: short delay, no feedback, barely mixed in.

Wrapping a piece of textile around your bridge.

(You can also go further by experiment with compressors and envellope filters. But I personally see no need to go that far for double bass emulating. No good results garantueed.)

I do want to try out a BOSS Acoustic Simulator some day. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on bass. But I'm not hoping it will make an electric bass sound like a double bass.

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the AC2 doesn't make your bass sound more "acoustic". the eq applied to the signal is obviously designed with a gtr in mind.
    i found it to make no huge difference at all TBH.

the AC 3 may be different however.
    YMMV of course.

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Thank for sharing your experience.

I'm going to try one out if I have the chance, an hear if that pedal can give me a cool sound that I can use.
    I'm not hoping it will make my bass sound like an acoustic... but if it gives a good effect then that's positive.

Am I wrong to assume that the AC-2 and AC-3 are just reverb, EQ and some other digital hocus pocus signal processing to mess with the signal enveloppe? ???
    :)

5. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Your never going to make an electric sound like an upright bass. I have been playing bass (electric & upright) for 30 years. They are two different instruments all together. The alternative would be getting a hollow or semi-hollow body bass. They will give you an acoustic sound. An inexpensive bass like this would be the Artcore from Ibanez (used around $200-300). I played electric fretless for years and used one when the gig was going to be cramped with space (18 piece jazz group), but it did not sound like an upright.

Good luck

6. geodiak

geodiak

Mar 28, 2008
    Greece
    Thank you all for your advice

7. i tried the ac3 once. i found it to get a pretty good acoustic sound, though i haven't played an acoustic bass through an amp yet so i cant say if it makes an accurate sound to an acoustic bass.