Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass-guitar through a guitar POD Pro? Good? Bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Hi there,

I've got another question :D

I own a Line 6 POD Pro.
    Nice piece of gear.
    BUT, I'm also a bassplayer so I'd like to know if I could use my guitar POD Pro as a practice amp for my bass.

I would use my POD with headphones and the bass straight into the guitar input.

Did anyone try this out yet?
    I'd like to know for sure, because I don't want my POD to be destroyed!
    I know its bad to play bass through a guitaramp.
    But what about a bass through a POD?
    Any risks on damaging the POD?

Please help me out.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Your POD won't blow up.

3. Thanks,

but would it get damaged?

4. The Guitar Pod pro is a pre-amp/effects/etc/etc device that processes audio signals. The output of your bass guitar doesn't look all that much different to the POD as a regular guitar signal. I don't see how playing your bass through a POD pro could damage it. Playing our bass through a guitar amp can however damage the speakers. Guitar speakers are designed to reproduce the mid range of sounds and are not near as "HEAVY DUTY" as bass speakers which have to move a lot more air to acheive the same precieved volume level as a guitar speaker. :p

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm a bassist/guitarist who uses a Guitar POD to practice/record when silence is necessary.

I do use the POD with the bass to no ill effects. There's really only one useable setting though IMO - POD Clean with compression and just a touch of reverb - although you can vary gain and distortion for some variation.

I think it works quite well for bass when you EQ with the Bass/Mid/Treb controls.

In fact, I have gone so far as to run the output of the POD into a mixer and then through my studio power amp/reference speakers for some low-volume output rather than fire up the amp.

DD