1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass guitar through home stereo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lakland44-01, Dec 10, 2006.

1. lakland44-01

lakland44-01

Dec 8, 2006
    whats up...
    :bassist: i was just wondering if theyre was anyway i could play my bass guitar through my bose home stereo?:bassist:

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I used to do this with a older, high end, home stereo
    that had a microphone input, lots of power and 15" speakers.

It worked but not that great.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I suspect that a compressor (or an amp modeler) would be your best friend!!!

4. intregus

intregus

Dec 4, 2006
    If you're talking about going direct from the bass to the stereo, then no. You could go from a multi-effect pedals headphone output into a stereo... I'd still take a nice set of headphones over a home stereo though.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A cheap mic pre like the ART Tube MP would work. Just be careful with the levels.

A cheap mixer would also work and be more flexible. Again, be careful about levels.

My practice setup is a cheap mixer hooked up to an ART SLA1 and two Radio Shack bookshelf speakers. I also have the headphones plugged in for silent practice.

The mixer is real handy since I have the computer hooked up to play and record. I also have a mic plugged in. So I can play just about anything and record the results.

6. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    You could run it through a tape deck, but it's a bad idea. Too high of an output.

7. Sounds bitchin' thru my Marantz.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I practice 90% of the time through my recording PC that is hooked up to a 70s Sony receiver. Sounds pretty good to me too.

9. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    really depends on how precious is your stereo...because you can damage the speakers if you play a bit too loud....but of course who didnt do that when you fast start off on a limited budget!!

10. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I have one of those tiny little practice amps; it's pretty much just a headphone amp with a little tiny (think AM radio) speaker in it. I have used a simple adapter from Radio Shack to use the headphone out as an input source. This particular little amp has separate settings for normal and overdriven output, so even though it is cheap (about $12 shipped) it is easy to keep the outputs levels right. Before I got a real amp, I also stretched the limits with this little thing by soldering speaker connecters from an old busted boom box on it and using the speakers from the old boom box. It didn't make it all that loud, but kept me from blowing out the tiny speaker when I played along with a couple of friends in the garage. Now it sits next to my computer and I use it when I am doing on line lessons and what not.

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Search and you may find the posts about this exciting new sport.
    Do multiple 13" BW TVs sound better than a 26"color? Stay tuned.

tripp2k likes this.
  12. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    I used to that on occasion with my old kenwood sound system.

I would plug directly from the bass into the mic input and never had a problem.

Of course, you need to take it easy on the bass's volume level. I couldn't turn up more than one quarter or one half of the way in order to keep the sound system from distorting or farting. But when keeping in those volume limits I had a pretty decent sound.