Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass guitar virgin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Duff Man, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man

Oct 18, 2004
    ok, i've never played a guitar in my life, or any insturment for that matter. i've always wanted to play something i just didnt know what. we've got a really awesome bass player in our little band at church. now i think i'd like to try to learn to play the bass, but i dont want to spend awhole lotta money just to see if i like it or not. plus i'm kinda broke, and dont have a big budget to work with. i looked on E-bay at some of the guitars in the $60-80 range. i found quite a few actually. most of them were older ones from the '80's. what do i need to look for when i'm looking for a good used or even new bass guitar? 4 or 5 string, which is better? is it even worth worring about? the most i can afford right now is about 100 bucks. i dont really need a case, and i think the guys at church have a small amp i could use, i'll ask them on Wed. night.

2. If you are friendly with the bass player in the church band, then maybe he could help you to find something used in your town. A cheap Fender Jazz or Precision styled bass that stays in tune would be a good place to start. A friend of mine has an OLP Music Man ripoff bass that is not too bad.

3. Welcome aboard! You have chosen wisely, the bass is the way to go! :bassist:

There have been numerous discussion about inexpensive basses. Check out the "Newbie links" thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69903

SX aka Essex basses are pretty highly regarded around here and there´s a huge thread about them here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57599&highlight=essex+megathread

There are lots of good, inexpensive axes around. Brands like Yamaha and Ibanez have many basses that are suitable for beginners. But I strongly advice you to approach the bassist in your church. I´m sure he will be glad to help you out and give recommendations for your 1st instrument. Perhaps he can even go shopping with you.

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    4 string, especially on a budget like yours. Just find one that works, how it looks isn't important. You can probably find a good deal on one covered in stickers or badly refinished.

5. Duff Man

Duff Man

Oct 18, 2004

yeah i saw lots on ebay with stickers, and sctraches. how hard is it to re-paint or refinish a bass guitar? they're just made of wood, right? so i should be able to sand it down and put my own paint design on it?

i asked the bass player at church awhile ago, he told me to look on ebay. i just dont really know what im looking for. rosewood neck, hardwood necks, fretless, one volume and one tone control, ect., ect. some of the ones on ebay had slightly bend necks, are those still good , or should i keep looking? are there any brands to stay away from?

6. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    You want a straight neck. Shop with a guitar player so they can check it out and make sure you're not buying junk that is warped or missing parts.

Get a tuner. Strings are broken by rookies that tune their strings too high and snap them.

Get a case! More basses sufffer from falling over, bumping into stuff and getting beat up than need be.

Ebay gives you no chance to tryout anything. Buyer beware! Music catalogs are better becuse they can do returns and exchanges. Buying in person with a friend who plays is the best. Check the classified ads for someone else who bought a bass and gave it up. You'll find one.