Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Guitar Weight Distribution

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Hi,

I am a newbie in bass, noticed that when I hang up the bass guitar, the headstock will kind of slide down until the head will be lower than the body of the bass, around 30-45 degrees, so I have to use my left (fretting) hand to pull up the head and play at the same time, which put extra strains in my wrist.

Is this normal at all? One of my guitar band mates told me he used his right (picking) elbow to sort of press the body down to get a good angle.

Cheers.

2. Sorry, by "hang up" I mean playing the bass in a standing position, using the strap. Hehe...

3. TheListPunk

TheListPunk Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    Topeka, Kansas
    What kind of bass do you have? Some have heavy neck-dive as a characteristic. But for most basses, I don't think this is normal.

josh

4. It's probabely because your strap slides on your shirt or something. I can hang my bass any way I want and it won't budge.
    Try pulling it up with your fretting hand until your headstock is a bit lower then your shoulder, then let it go. If it slides down it's 'coz of your strap.

I'm a newbie too by the way :meh:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Simple answer. Some basses have this, called "neck dive" usually because the balance is off due to a weird body shape or a light body wood. My fretless bass does this because it is made of Alder which isnt that heavy, and has a thick maple neck. Mine mainly does it when sitting down though, it doesnt do it when standing up. There are ways of extending the upper horn to eliminate neckdive but i dont know much about it.

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    This is more of a Misc. kinda thing.......

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

7. Sorry guys... din know its called "neck dive", and after I found out abuot the term, searched the forum and got the info that I wanted.

Ok, seems that its mainly due to the bass instead of the strap as what I understand... lucky to realize this, before buying my first bass!

p/s: I was talking abuot the bass guitar in the studio that I jam in.