Bass & Guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Senor SQUID, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I was just wondering if anyone besides me played the guitar in addition to the bass and if so what are you guys using out there? I am currently using a martin Jumbo 1 acoustic and a Gibson SG into a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    That I do! I'm currently using my brother's old Peavey Raptor 1 and Rage 158, but I'm gonna pick up an SX Telecaster as soon as I sell my Yorkville 100B (getting an XS400 combo for bday/christmas). I'm a huge fan of Teles and jazz hollowbodies. I'd like to pick up a nice Fender Tele that I can haul around where necessary and not have to worry about scratching or anything (I drool over beat up teles) and the hollowbody (probably a Pat Metheny ibanez sig) for that nice jazz tone. Eventually I'd like to pick up one of the new Traynor tube amps -- I played an Epi hollowbody through one last week...stellar, mind blowing tone.
  3. I play. Started on guitar before bass actually. I have a '98 Squier Strat. Got it for $40, can't pass it up. Even signed by Buckethead, Les Claypool and Brain now ^_^ What are you guys running your guitars through (if electric)? I just use my bass rig and a USA Big Muff Pi.
  4. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I play the guitar - not as well as bass, but I do play it, primarily fingerstyle. My first guitar was a Washburn acoustic-electric dreadnought (forgot the model name/code). Now I play a Martin DCME, which I bought in January of this year. I recently acquired (it's a long story) a cheap but decent Epiphone acoustic dreadnought. I use the Epiphone as a backup and recording instrument. After I get my fretless Nordstrand in the spring, I will begin looking to buy an electric guitar.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I play both. Bass is my voice though, guitar is a ton fun though. Currently I have a Takemine G-series acoustic and I am purchasing a Gibson Les Paul Studio in the next few weeks.

Until I get a dedicated git amp, I will either use my Bass rig or my friend's Crate combo.
  6. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I started playing bass about a year ago, and decided a month ago that I wanted to also play guitar. I dedicate most of my practicing to the bass, but I think it would be cool just to learn both.
  7. Several years back I was much more comfortable playing guitar, but was a much better bass player. I don't play guitar as much, and I really don't want to sell nearly 20 years of acqusitions. Besides, I've got some really cool guitar gear!
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I play an Ibanez RG 550, and amplify it with computer software (NI Guitar Rig, awesome stuff!). I don't have a band, so I don't have an amp. I don't like my guitar very much (I mean, you can't tune the damn thing, and changing strings takes 30+ minutes), but I don't know what I want instead (been jonesing for all kinds of guitars over the past months)... so I just stick with what I have for now.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've got a Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy, a Hamer Newport Pro, a Frankenmutt bolt-on with a Warmoth PRS body and a Carvin neck--all with various Bill Lawrence PUs--and two classicals (one with a K&K pickup). For amps, I use either a Carvin ClubMaster (100W 1-12 combo, predecessor of current MTS series) with a Weber ceramic California speaker or a Carvin Vintage 16 with a Weber ceramic Blue Dog.
  10. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I play guitar also--although bass is my main gig. I'm currently using a Strat and I also have a Fender acoustic-not sure which model, I've had it for a good number of years. I've been eyeballing a Gibson SG, but I can't justify getting a second electric at this time.

I began playing bass and guitar at the same time. I liked both instruments so I decided to learn both. In fact, to this day I make it a point to learn the guitar parts in addition to knowing the bass part.

Versatility is the key!
  11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Another guitar player here.

I just bought a Parker NiteFly SA a couple months ago and I really dig that. My other main guitar is an Epiphone SG with a P90 pickup that has an amazing sound. I also have a couple seven string Ibanez guitars.

But bass is my main instrument.
  12. I've got a hollow body eclipse ESP.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im decent at guitar. I have an Ibanez acoustic that i use sometimes and i play on my friends Godin LG Sp90 as well. I write the guitar parts for our songs sometimes so i can move around on a guitar alright.
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I play guitar, and my sole electric is a mutt: in its former life it was a 22" scale MIM Fender Duo-Sonic that would never stay in tune, felt like rubber, and was a bear to intonate (3-saddle bridge), but I replaced the neck with a Tele replacement (extending the scale length in the process), changed the cheap hardware out for a Schaller bridge and Gotoh tuners, and replaced the stock pickups with DiMarzio Virtual Vintages. Sounds 1000x better now!

Down the road I'd like to get a new acoustic (sold my old one to my brother years ago, regret it now) and a 12-string electric (probably a Rickenbacker).
  15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Fender Fat Strat Texas Special-->
    Vox Wah-->
    Menatone Blue Collar-->
    '65 Reissue Fender Twin Reverb

The sound is a thing of beauty.

Other 6 stringers:

Taylor 314CE
    Fender Strat, Mexican
  16. hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    I love playing guitar as much as the bass, sometimes even more (sorry kids). I've got a mess of little stringy machines- 3 Kramers in various states of cheapness, an Aria Pro-II, an assortment of Ibanez (1 Jem, 3 RG's, and a 7 string RG), plus an Ovation acoustic that is falling apart and is painted green.
  17. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I play some guitar. Really only play during rehersal when we need someone to play the melody of a song if our regular guitar player or keyboard player isn't there. Or to work with the singers who are trying to put together a 3 part harmony.

When I play I use an Ovation celebrity CK57 acoustic / electric.
  18. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I've got a franken fat strat, an epiphone les paul, and a takamine acoustic. Soon I will master the tiny rig of doom, a zvex nanohead, a vox brian may, and this little old 25w peavey I'm going to gut one of these days.

I haven't been able to put my acoustic down lately, I really love it. It may become my main gigging guitar.
  19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Holy 80's Batman!
  20. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I started guitar before bass. I like bass better, but sometimes I want to play where I don't have electricity.

I do most of my writing on a Taylor 355ce 12-string. I also have a MIJ Fender Strat, heavily customized, and the poor mans PRS Santans-a Hamer Import Archtop, less heavily modified.