bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrick16k, Jun 14, 2001.

1. I dont own a bass guitar yet but im looking for one for a punk band. I was thinking either ibanez or dean. Does anybody have any suggestions for what kind of guitar i should get.
  2. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I would look into mexican fenders or even used american ones.
  3. whats your price range? that would help alot.
  4. The cheapy Ibanez's are really crap, Id stay away from them. Dean does make some good basses for the money, but they offer almost TOO much for the money, you know something has to be lacking. Id also go with a good old used Fender, or to be "True Punk", get a knockoff.
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I liked the cheap deans i played with the other day at the store! Not to bad! I was bored when i was ordering my spector 5 string usa bolt on! The dean isnt even the same but as a first bass it was very nice!
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I wasn't happy with Dean, I can't remember why. I took one home and it was horrible playing and sounding. For a punk band get an old Ripper or P-Bass. Look for Rugged construction and punchy tone. As for Ibanez, an old Blazer Bass from the early 80's is a great punk bass for those criteria.
  7. thanks for the help guys. my price range is around $350 and i think i might go with the ibanez sr300dx. if you think im doing the wrong thing let me know.
  8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    The cheap Ibanez SR's aren't all crap, some are better built than others. Try a Fender, an Ibanez BTB, a Dean or ESP heck try them all and decide which one you like the tone & feel of most.
  9. Well, the BTB's are out of his $$$ range, but that is the only Ibanez I would recomend. Well, I do recomend the old lawsuit ones, they werent bad. But for $350, I'd look for a MIM J or P, or even the Squier ones, those new jazzes are rather nice.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX