Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Guy Pratt used in PULSE concerts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ttyR2, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    I'm trying to track down the make/model of bass that Guy Pratt (among others) used in the PULSE concert series of Pink Floyd. It wasn't a Fender, had a small-ish body, and if I recall had a fairly contoured front. I thought it was an Ibanez but I'm not seeing any Ib's that look like it.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's been a while since I've had the chance to watch "Pulse", but AFAIK the more "modern" basses used on it were Spector and Status.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Yep, it was a U.S. made Spector NS2 :bassist:

4. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Yep it was indeedy, great sound, I love the slap bit at the end of Another Brick in the Wall on that live album

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Anybody heard what Guy is doing nowadays???

He's an amazing player (hence the Pulse dvd, which, if anyone cares, is being released this month on DVD) and rarely gets the credit he deserves in my opinion.

6. Last I heard, he's doing comedy. Seriously.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    are you guys sure about the spector thing? guy used to be featured prominently playing a "signature" (company name) bass in their advertisements. they made guitars for alex lifeson around the same time. it did look a bit like a spector.

8. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    John, I believe by the time "Pulse" was taped (the '94 tour) Signature had be out of business for several years. This tribute page shows 1990 as the end date, and while we know one can use an instrument far past the closing of a buisness, all info I've seen points to a Spector NS-2 (as well as the tonality of the lines - it's very much the traditional "Spector" sound, IMO.)

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Dayyyyyyum...........

Any more info on what kinda show?

10. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    David Gilmour put up a studio jam video over the holidays on his site, which was only downloadable for a few days. I believe Guy Pratt is in the video playing bass, it sounds like some old Pink Floyd progressions revamped.

The video got saved here, it's about 14 Megs:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/9860743/David_Gilmour_-_Island_Jam.wmv.html

11. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I dunno, doesn't really look like Guy to me, but I aint no expert. Guy in the video looks younger than I thought Guy would look. Nonetheless it was a cool video.

12. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
  13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    John, it was definitely a Spector NS2. I was at the show and backstage (my drummer was Rick Wright's son) and being a Spector player myself I was VERY pleased to see Guy using an NS2...:cool:

Guy is indeed now doing a comedy show (in addition to songwriting and occasional session work). His show is called "My bass and other animals" and is a hilarious look behind the scenes at situations he's found himself in with well known artists.... :D

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It -will- be mine!!!!

15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Well, I know he wrote a lot of music for the soundtrack of Spaced, and he played bass for the tracks on the "Still Crazy" soundtrack (great songs on there, by the way!). Haven't heard anything about him doing stand-up comedy or anything though! :D

16. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I saw this tour in Montreal. Guy was using a Spector as well as what looked like a Fender '57 reissue P-Bass. I don't recall the others that well, but I think he might've played a fretless Status when they played "Hey You". Mind you I saw this show in 1994, and there was all kinds of *smoke* around which might have tainted my memory.

17. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Dammed "fog machines". Yeah, DMB fans... I'm looking at you too. :smug:

18. leading*the*rat

leading*the*rat

Oct 3, 2005
    germany
    Saw the tour here in Germany and he was playing a Status most of the time (which is also mentioned in the Cd-booklet)

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    How lucky I am,I was gonna ask the same question but the answer found me:a NS-2 :smug: Oh man Pulse takes me away from myself,and the bass tone is killing my brain cells,but the question is how many years will it take for me to be able to afford a NS-2 :crying: