1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass hacks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Silvint, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Silvint

Silvint

May 7, 2007
    London UK
    Just as I was boiling my strings in vinegar to make them bright and fresh again, I thought, maybe there are other bass hacks I don't know about.
    Share yours!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you take your pickguard off, you have a place to stash your weed (on most basses.)

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    So basses are software based devices? Who knew

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When I was a wee lad, my first bass teacher was an old gent who had returned home after many years playing jazz in NO. He told me to get the best upright sound out of an electric, Put a pot on the stove and get it just hot enough to melt some Crisco, than take your flats (those where the only strings fit for electric in his opinion) and drop them down in it. Let them sit for about 10 minutes then take them out, uncoil them and hang them up. When they cool, take a rag soaked in the hottest water you can stand and wipe them down until all they are no longer slick. Slap em on and you are ready. A couple years later a friend of my dad who was also a bass player gave me the same "secret" to a great sounding electric bass.

The old gent also would take a razor blade and slice the tips of my fingers ever so slightly, never deep enough to bleed, then have me soak my fingers in a bowl of warm salt water to help build callouses. I've often wondered what would happen today if some helicopter parent discovered their child was having their fingers cut with a razor blade by their music coach.

Silvint and JustForSport like this.
  5. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    giphy.

giphy.

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    When I was young, no one had a TV to learn how (they are supposed to) respond to things. You learned from those that already knew, or learned the hard way- then you knew, not took for granted that some Hollywood actor in a 'paid' role impressed upon you.
    But, yeah, 'hacks' are a good way of trying things out. My 3 P bass is coming along, and there are some pickup 'hacks' on here that don't just buy what's avail on the shelf.

Tbone76 likes this.
  7. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Do you have a neck that you can't seem to eliminate a slight bow even though the truss rod is just about maxed out? Try this:

Leave the truss rod as it is for now (just about maxed). Loosen all the strings until there is virtually no tension. Stand the bass up on the ground facing away from you and press your knee up against the mounting plate while using some pressure to pull back the headstock toward you. Simultaneously, use a hair dryer to heat the neck thoroughly from top to bottom, both front and back. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Let the neck cool completely, again, for a few minutes. Retune and check the neck relief. It should be noticeably flatter than before. If necessary, relieve the truss rod and adjust saddle height as needed, but I'd suggest waiting as long as possible to allow for some rebound.

bassbob likes this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Bass and guacamole. Mmmmmm.
    Not a combination you would normally think of.

Oh I thought this was OT. Carry on.