Bass Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by kurt muroki, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Hey guys I was thinking... wouldn't it be great if we had a "Bass Hall of Fame"? so more people could be educated in who the great bassists (upright and electric) were and are and what they contributed to music. And so that people wont keep comming up to us and referring to the bass as a cello etc... heh anyway... probably a dumb idea, but fun

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I like NYC.

But, Kurt, come on....people will still be calling it a cello when our great-great grandchildren are schleppin' basses from gig to gig. Some things are just carved in stone.

I had a great experience at the Four Seasons in Wailea...a well intentioned mom pointed at my axe and said "That's a cello, son". The kid, about 7 or 8, gave her this look :rolleyes:, and just said "bass, mom", like she was the biggest moron on the face of the planet. I wanted to adopt him.
  3. A lot of people who aren't too hip don't realy understand that there are four members of the violin family. To them, small equals violin, big equals cello. It's our responsibiliy to educate them since apparently no one else has. They don't mean to be disrespectful, they are just ignorant.

4. hey marcus! neat story! He is a GREAT kid. Oh how is the 4 seasons? I've heard it's amazing
  5. I don't know. Seems to me Halls of Fame are good for leaving deserving people out and to add insult to injury, including a few people that shouldn't be there.

Start a Bass Hall of Fame and there will end up being some 7th year college student collecting a check from an arts endowment making decisions on who is and who isn't.....

6. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas