1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Harmonics bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jcracknell, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Jcracknell

Jcracknell

Aug 5, 2012
    I am learning the Jaco pastorius - portrait of Tracy and the 6 string bass I have is just clunky and I really don't get on well with it for any style of playing. (Ibanez gio sound gear). I am currently on the lookout for a new 6 string bass around the £500- £750 mark which will really highlight the harmonics nicely but also has a lot to offer for other techniques.
    I had my eyes on a Spector legend 6 but didn't know how good this would be so any pointer would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers from JCracknell

2. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    I love my legend 6. The harmonics ring out nicely, and I can dial in nice finger style and slap tones. I can't get the action as low as I'm used to (my legend 5's is just a hair lower) but it only really makes a difference when I try to tap in certain areas of the neck. All I have to do is tap a little harder and I'm fine. I'd highly recommend checking one out if you can!

3. Jcracknell

Jcracknell

Aug 5, 2012
    Thanks! All the reviews and the videos I have seen have made me want one. I think I'll just go for one now though!

4. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Bear in mind that Jaco is reputed to have played his jazz with the bridge pickup turned up and the neck down. So, whatever bass you choose it should probably have a pickup fairly close to the bridge to pick up the higher overtones.

Jim

5. Jcracknell

Jcracknell

Aug 5, 2012
    As much as I admire Jaco and his incredible tone I do want to be a complete replica of him (as nice as that would be!) as long as I have a bass that will give a nice tone for the harmonics and is comfortable to play then I should be able to fashion the best sound out of it myself but a pickup in that position would help to acheive Jacobs tone, you're right.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Have you recently had your bass setup or changed the strings? A good setup and some bright new strings will make a huge difference on any instrument.

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    The harmonics on my modulus , yamaha , ken lawrence , lakland......[well maybe the lakland]

sound nothing like the harmonics on my jazz.

I'm sure the bass you're using will work just fine though.