1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bass has low output on A string with both pickups...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jordanl92, Jun 7, 2017.

1. jordanl92

jordanl92

Jan 1, 2014
    I have a cheap bass from a friend that I'm using till I can get my good one after a move, and it has a problem with the output on the A string. He says years ago it was fine but got this way over the years. The strings sound fine when played acoustically, just occurs when it's plugged in. It's a jazz bass style and this occurs on both pickups, when either one is solo'd or they are both on. the tone/volume pots don't sound scratchy when turned either. The action and pickup high it set up to Fender specs so nothing there is out of wack. Just seems odd that it's on one string and includes both pickups. Wondering, is this a set up/pick up/pot/string problem? Thanks in advance!

2. pictures would be helpful here

could be a lot of different things, even neck relief can be a factor here. wouldn't hurt to try a fresh set of strings, though that may not be the answer.

Rattman likes this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

It's a very normal situation to have when all the poles are level with the top of the pickup. The A string is often furthest away from the poles and smaller than the E so it doesn't generate as much signal when plucked. Solution is to raise the pickup on the bass side or lower the treble side to even the output. Then you usually have to raise the E string higher to balance it. It's not ideal but works well when you can't adjust poles. A Higher E string action is easy to live with because it's a flexible string that resists finger touch less than thinner strings so higher action isn't that noticible.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Manufacturers' specs are BS.
    Set it up so it sounds right.

JLS likes this.
  5. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    May be the pick ups are just shot. if your friend says they have been slowly getting weaker sounds like the pick ups need replaced.

6. Right out of the gate you stated "cheap bass". That would assume then cheap electronics and by default, less-than-stellar pickups. If he is willing, swap out both pickups with an upgraded set, or just a loaner set that can be removed again post-experiment.
    . .

7. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    When I always setup a Fender, I usually start near their specs. Then start changing it for my preference while incrementally checking the tone. I think Fender's neck relief is .012, and I usually end up at .008. I'm also under their recommended string height for both sides as well.

Fender must give out the upper range of the specs so that no matter what, there's no string buzzing. A good setup will have no buzzing with smaller relief, and shallower string height.

Neck relief on my EBMM Sterling is at .006. I've not checked their listed specs, but I suspect it's much of the same.

My advice is to go by what feels best for you.

Finally, did you put a full set of strings on it? If not, make sure it has the same strings on each. Don't try to adjust with different brands or type of strings. If you are unsure, replace all of the strings.

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    IMG_20160315_014157.jpg IMG_20160315_014224.jpg

How about try some Neo magnet piece first ?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021