Bass Head/Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I went to a gig last night and was talking to the bassist of that band. He had a travel case/rack with a tube preamp, an Alesis compressor, and a Crest 240x2 power amp.

My question is, how does a "bass head" differ from a power amp? What are the advantages or disadvantages of such a setup? What does the compressor do? Thanks in advance.
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    A bass head has a preamp built in as well as a power amp. A compressor evens out the dynamics in your sound, which is useful if you want a compressed sound or want to protect your rig from spikes in the signal when running at high volume.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    BTW, compressors are often very useful on bass guitar, but I wouldn't recommend the Alesis 3630. Sound engineers nicknamed that one the "dirty-6-dirty".................
  4. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Oh, forgot to mention...........

The advantage of a preamp/power amp setup is the modular aspect of it. If you need more wattage, get a bigger power amp; if you want a better compressor (as this guy should), get one.

However, there are many heads that sound awfully good, and it's usually difficult or impossible to duplicate their sound. So it just depends. If you really like the sound of an SVT, you're probably going to be frustrated if you get a preamp/power amp setup; likewise, if you really like the sound of a Demeter preamp, don't buy an SVT.