Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass head and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StandYourGround, Jul 6, 2004.

1. I posted a related question a while ago but I want to get a little bit more specific now. I own the GK Backline 210 and 115 cabs. Both handle 200W @ 8 ohms. What do you guys thing about the Ampeg B2R head? Is that a decent head and will it work with the cabs? It puts out 350W @ 4 ohms. Is that too much for the cabs to handle?

2. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    personally i think you lose with both choices. i do not the the GK backline cabs. im telling you get avatar if your on a budget. as for the b2r its not that it sucks...it just does not seem 350 watts at all

but if thats the equipment you want. you will be fine not too much power

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Those cabs will handle the B2R just fine. I have a B2R with a BXT410 cab and BXT115 cab. However, I can only use one at a time (I'm not the one who made the error :scowl: ) If you get the EQ on the B2R just right... it will sound ok. Not GREAT... but ok. The GK cabs.... eh... they're not bad. However, it kinda sucks having to overhaul an entire rig, so I can understand you wanting to keep your cabs. If you've got the $$$... you could even go for a tube option. If your cabs support a 350W B2R, then they'll support a 300W SVT2. I wouldnt take it that far though. The B2R will fit in with your cabs.

~Evan

4. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    IMO I think you should stick with GK and get a 700rb instead of the ampeg B2R. IIRC the GK is only $50 more than the ampeg, yet has 580 watts compared to the b2rs (imo quiet) 350 watts. But if you have a good deal on the ampeg, stick with it. And your cabs will be fine. They will handle the power and that 210 and 115 setup will probably sound pretty good. See if you can try both of them out, then you can decide which one sounds better for you.