Bass head + bass combo + bass cab = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommania, Aug 19, 2013.

1. tommania

tommania

Aug 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Hi,

I have always played using a combo, but I have just been given a Peavey 450 Tour and an Ashdown 410 cab. I am currently using an Ashdown Mag 300 Evo II.

The rear panel on my combo looks like this, with two speaker outputs, one which is hooked up through a cable coming from inside the amp. http://www.guitarmagazine.co.uk/imageBank/i/IMG_27162.jpg

Is there a way for me to use the 15" speaker inside the combo with my 4x10" cab and hook it up into my Peavey head?

The Peavey runs 450W RMS into 4 ohms, the Ashdown Combo runs at 'minimum load 4 ohms' and the Ashdown Cab is 8 ohms.

I don't really understand the whole ohms thing. :( hope you can help!

Tom.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Depending on the impedance of your 410, it is possible to use it with your combo amp, but not a very good pairing to say the least. With the gear you have, it would make much more sense to use the combo amp as is, and use the head and 410 as is. You could also use a stereo fx pedal and run both rigs in stereo if you wanted, but trying to combine the 3 pcs into 1 rig is not a good idea.

3. tommania

tommania

Aug 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Thanks for your reply! Could you please explain why it isn't a very good pairing? In my band I provide the low end whilst the guitarists do a lot of technical riffs etc. I need a big deep sound. Is there an advantage to running both rigs at the same time? My Fender PT-100 has two outputs, http://www.gak.co.uk/rs/pictures/tn1_2428.jpg Could this work and split the signal?

I'm worried about just trying things out and seeing what happens just incase!

Tom

4. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    Perhaps use the send from the front of the Ashdown combo to the input or return of the Peavey rig?

5. It may have been the "in rig" and looked cool years ago, but not anymore....

15's are not better for lows then 10's
    10's do not provide any more punch and clarity then a 15

Mixing speaker sizes in full range (no crossover use) can lead to phase problems that cause boominess and dead spots around the room.

6. If I was dead set on using the rigs together I would get a Rolls SX21 crossover. Pick one of the amps to be the master preamp, fx send to crossover, highs to the combo fx return, lows to the Peavey fx return.

Yes, you read that right. The 4 tens make a louder low end than the 15, the 15 has better highs than the 4x10.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Just use the combo for practice at home, and the new 410 rig for gigs. Should be a big step up from a 115 combo amp, volume and low end wise.

8. tommania

tommania

Aug 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    So if what more low end is what I seek, should I look for another 4x10 cab?

9. tommania

tommania

Aug 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Thanks for that! I may experiment and see what that can do!

10. tommania

tommania

Aug 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    So, do you think I would be better off using the head and cab at gigs? or the combo?

That's the final question!

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The 410 rig will be louder, and most likely provide more low end than the 1x15 combo.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021