1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Head Choice NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Elixar17, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Elixar17

Elixar17

May 21, 2013
    Hey All,

I need a Bass Head, I have some thoughts Which i won't divulge, But i am happy and keen to possibly have my mind changed. So there's your challenge convince me of what bass head i should buy. If i could have Pros AND Cons then that'd be great and obviously the reasoning behind your suggestion.

Can't wait to read your responses!

Thanks,
    Elixar

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Need more info. What cabs do you have? What style of music ? Pick or finger style ?

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Here's a nice one:

51164796.Fishhead.

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    +1. Whats your price range, new or used, does weight matter?

You asked a very open ended question.

5. Without any info, everyone is gonna tell you to get a genz benz streamliner 900 or an Aguilar tone hammer 500 😝

6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    ... or a pair of SVT... :oops:

7. Where you are located would be a HUGE help also, not all brands are available everywhere.
    I'm sure we could list 30 brands from mainstream production to boutique one offs.

8. swing

swing

Apr 25, 2000
    London
    I can't see past the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 at the moment: 900w, weighs 4lbs.
    Big on headroom, great clean, punchy sound...

9. I won't divulge my recommendation so it won't affect your choice.

Nobody likes to sound forced, and I'd hate to be responsible for it.

10. Elixer, My challenge to you is to determine your parameters ($, weight, time frame for buying etc.), then determine your needs (sound you wish, volume needed, etc.), then make a mature responsible informed decision.

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Ok. So get a Reeves 225.

12. Elixar17

Elixar17

May 21, 2013
    ok sorry i realise that, that was a pretty open ended question.

1. From Australia (but use eBay)
    2. Play mainly fingerstyle
    3. cost and weight no issue (just wanting best options...if that makes any sense)
    4. loud is good as it'd be keeping up with band mates whos' amps seem to be stuck on 11
    5. i am patient so time frame is not an issue
    6. I currently run
      - Eden WT400​
      - Eden (USA) D410XLT and Eden (USA) D115XLT​

13. Cost and weight no issue? Probably a reeves custom 400 or ashdown bta 400. Realistic alternatives? Fender bassman 300 pro ( or super bassman 300), the genz benz line, or the markbass lineup.

14. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    why do you need a head? power? cut? are you in love with that 4x10+1x15 rig? just losing the 1x15 for a second 4x10 will make that rig louder.

15. Elixar17

Elixar17

May 21, 2013
    Yeah i am pretty much in love with my current rig. but there are things that the head cannot do which i want, i.e. just a super clean punch (flea type sound) and also clear lows (Adam Clayton kind of thing). Does that make a certain sense? if not i'll try and explain a little better.

Thanks,
    Elixar

16. perhaps look at some of the higher powered Gallien Krueger amps like the RB700 or 1001. The MB500 and MB800 Class D's would also be worth a try.

+1 on losing the 1-15 and getting a matching 410.