Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Head for under $750 ($450US)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 22, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    hey all

I recently decided im going to get the head of my new rig first. The only problem is..what?

I have been offered a second hand GK400RB for $700 AUS ($394US) Only problem is that i found out that they have a problem, the switch boost chip is kinda dodgey. Heres what i can find about the 400RB:

Specifications
    Power <1% THD: 240W@4ohm, 150W@8ohm, 1 kHz.
    Cooling: Continuously Variable Speed Fan
    Input Section: Ultra low noise S/N>90dB, Clip LED and10dB Pad, Volume, Tuning Mute
    Voicing Filter: 5/4 String, adjustable Contour, and Presence
    Equalizer: Series Four Band Active.
    Output: Boost, Master.
    Direct Out: XLR, Ground Lift, Pre/Post Switch
    Patching: Send/Return, Tuner Out
    PWR Connectors: Two 1/4" jacks
    Weight: 15lbs.
    Dimensions: 17.5"W x 3.5"H x 8"D

[​IMG]

So next weekend im going to go into the city and have a look at a few bass shops that live around there. Any hints on what is a good bass head under $750 (450US)? I heard Carvin werent bad..any others?

EDIT: Im willing to go second hand :D

Thanks!
    -Kirbo

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey dude, I own a 400RBIII combo with 1x15 and it does what I need. Very clear and uncolored in my opinion. As for now I just use it to practice at home( use amps already at the places I go to ) but I am planning to buy 4x10's to go with it to get the full 240 when I need it. I tried this combination and it was awesome. From what I see out there in this day and age , nobody carries arround all the big gigantic amps any more. that stuff is pretty played out, besides tecnology has grown so much that these little amps can sound just as good as alot of those backbreakers out there. if you are playing in a stadium bring the big $%@#, otherwise bring a combo and DI into the p.a. done case closed:)

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    If they are reasonable in Aus dollars, maybe the Peavey Firebass. Good sound. Reliable. Heavy!

Kim